Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sinkable course

Sinkable course 9 months ago #9780

Anyone using the Wally pump for a sinkable course. I have a sinking course I made years ago, but wonder how this new pump works out?
Coach3

Re: Sinkable course 4 months ago #9864

Sorry for the late reply. (Our lake is frozen as I speak).

We've had our Wally Sinker Course for about two years now and it's worked very well. We have the air line marked with a GPS location and once connected, it rises in 11 min, and lowers in the same 11 min.

Only real issue we've had so far is the sandbags need grommets on the upper eyelet as the 28lbs of weight puts undue stress on them.

I would give the system 9/10 stars.

Re: Sinkable course 3 months, 3 weeks ago #9866

We’ve had our Wally Sinker for about 12 years. We still use the original pump that came with the course. We have had no issues other than replacing the 12v plug occasionally. Not sure how accurate the pressure gauge still is but pump works good.

I know Wally came out with a new pump a couple years. We did not purchase because we didn’t think it would save much time raising the course vs the money.

Our course raises in about 12 min and drops in about 8-9 min.
Keith Sims
South Carolina

Re: Sinkable course 2 months ago #9913

Coach3–I haven’t seen a WallySinker but have experience w an Accusink course which required ongoing maintenance but generally worked well. Once the public boat ramps open after the CV-19 spike, I hope to resurrect a long unused public-water Accusink from the depths. If I find/raise the course, I too may be in the market for a 12v diaphragm pump. Looks like the 2 diff versions cost $395 to $695 at WS....

shop.wallyskier.com/Bladders-fittings-tu...lt-WallyPumps_c9.htm

@ Hog Driver/Keith....your profile says SC...I imagine you are/were near Pope? Or Maybe Moody. I’m in Charleston—if I’m ever near your course I’d like to see a WS in operation if possible. A few yrs from now there’s a chance I’ll install a WS in FL and I’d like to see one before I’d spend $6000+ on the system.
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC
67in HO CDX Animal Bindings (...maybe 67in Radar Senate Pro in future)

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 4 weeks ago #9914

Chad,
I'm on Lake Murray just outside Columbia. More specifically Chapin. Absolutely, you are welcome anytime, just let me know. I'll be glad to share what I know.
I was a Shaw AFB from 90-94. We had A-10s there for a few years. After I got out of the AF we settled on Lake Murray.

Keith
80.3-960-2.939
Keith Sims
South Carolina

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 4 weeks ago #9916

Keith,
Since my youngest daughter is starting at USC this year (assuming they hold actual classes...) I'll probably try to meet up with you in late summer sometime.
I'll contact you offline as I have some specific questions about the WS pump.

After 25+ yrs in USAF (mostly flying C-17s) we retired in Charleston 4 years ago. The slalom bug just bit me again after many yrs away from the sport...just bought an old skiboat, buying new ski gear and if it weren't for CV-19 closing public access to water...I'd be out trying to fix up the nearby Accu-sink course.
Chad
84.3-640-9.262
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 4 weeks ago #9917

Keith, Coach3,
If you have access to the 12v diaphragm pump that you use, could you confirm it’s similar to the 8amp pump pictured?
(I.e. Your pump has a cigarette lighter style plug that you simply connect to the 12v receptacle in your boat? )

I’m contemplating buying the pictured pump, then adding a quality cigarette light plug.

CE5F588D-D5B8-4AE4-A868-086861472D5C.png
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 4 weeks ago #9918

www.grainger.com/product/GAST-1-8-HP-Dia...gm-Compressor-36XD68

I think this is what we considered a couple years ago but decided the couple miniutes it would save was not worth the cost since our pump is still working.

You definitely don't want anything 'high pressure' because of the air bladders will burst. You need CFM more than pressure, and of course DC.
Keith Sims
South Carolina

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 4 weeks ago #9919

For filling a sinkable course system you may use a scuba tank with a regulator and pressure gauge at the point of connection to the course's air hose. A standard tank has approximately 80 cubic feet of air and is less than $5 to fill a scuba tank.

Another solution is installing an anchored course with sub floats at a safe depth and removable surface buoys. With know reference points it's easy to clip the buoys on & off quickly.

We are skiing in Savannah, GA

I have built, installed, maintained and surveyed multiple slalom courses in the past 50 years. I plan to continue skiing and working the tournaments at Bud's Lake, Trophy Lake and others.

Stay safe.

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9923

Bud et al,
19 May 2020 Update on the resurrection of a lost and long unused Sinkable course in Charleston, SC.

Since SC re-opened public boat ramps this weekend after closing them for CV-19, I gave a shot at finding the long lost course. Yesterday I took the fam skiing and despite strong winds we stayed after to try and grapple for the course. AFter an hour of nothing but weeds...we were on the last grapple pass when I felt a tug... but whatever it was fell off the grapple. We visually marked the location and gave it another shot. Bingo...My daughter kept tension on the grapple while I dove down and hooked a line w a milk jug to it. It was a poly rope in the direction of the course Mainline. Thinking it over during the drive home I was pretty sure it was a section between an anchor and the 55m bouys (bc there was no airline on the rope).
Worried that the jug would be cut loose or lost, I engaged another local skier and we went out early today to give a look. Well after much effort we were able to free the 55m pre-gates and also the entrance gates from the muck and depths. And to my relief all the Accusink subs were there. the entrance gates even still had the magnets. I last skied this course in 2002-2003 and I think it was last used a year later. So Im hoping that when the course was abandoned almost 17yrs ago...they just turned out the lights so to speak. The airline actually looked to be in good condition...full of water of course.

The next step (a significant one) will be to continue hand-over-hand down the ML and try to free it and the boat guides and the PVC arms all the way out to the turn balls. I'm hoping it can be done without SCUBA diving (its 20-30 feet deep) and without snapping the PVC. The amount of pull required to raise the 55m and entrance gates was significant....the swim platform was under water from the downforce. Lots of work ahead. A good challenge certainly. What else is there to do... with no work for next 6 weeks (at least) due CV-19. Glad gas is cheap!
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9924

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Chad that is awesome and exciting.

Since "all the Accusink subs were there", you should be able to quickly attach a line to each one and connect a buoy at the surface and ski the course right away.

Be safe and keep us updated.

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9925

• RL
Where (specifically) is this course? What body of water?

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9926

It's near Goose Creek SC. Bushy Park.
Where are you at?
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9927

If you are nearby and want to lend a hand, we'll take it. Eventually we'll need a few boats if/when we get the course raised and purge the airlines.
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC

Re: Sinkable course 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9928

• RL
I work West Ashley, Ski at Trophy Lakes, Johns Island and live in Ravenel. Haven't been on public water in at least 20 years but like that there are still those who do, especially around here. We used to have a jump out in the main body at Bushy Park, also had it in the Goose Creek reservoir for a year or 2. Then had it at a pond in Jacksonboro for a few years. Are you out in the main channel or up in Foster Creek (towards the Naval Weapons Station)? Is this a course you put in or one of the abandoned courses form the 80s? We have room at Trophy Lakes and Adam has some affordable packages if yall ever want to have some highly controlled conditions.

Re: Sinkable course.... 2 weeks, 4 days ago #9936

Apologize to have high jacked this thread.
Since the cable ML on the old course was buried in mud for so long...it literally crumbled in our hands. We went w the simple option and installed a new floating course 2wks ago...thanks to Bud for loaning us a stainless mainline. The old/derelict course was left in it’s resting place and this new course has been up full time. Was half expecting a call from DNR since the bouys have my phone no on them...I want to ask them about permitting anyway. My family has been skiing it every 2-3 days and all’s been well until yesterday—found 4 bouys punctured and 1 missing. Not worth it to speculate how/who/why. I’ll be replacing boat guides w milk jugs through attrition. Bottom line: In the future if anyone is going to be pitching any bouys (don’t care if they’re faded/oblong etc so long as they’re functional) please contact me.

799B5A0A-43CE-499B-AC78-544DFE2818DA.jpeg
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Free business joomla templates