Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it the equipment or the skier?

Is it the equipment or the skier? 5 months, 3 weeks ago #9674

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Is it the equipment or the skier?

I am eager to find out if I can get back to where I was. I have not been skiing very well for the past couple of years. I thought it was mainly my back issues keeping me off the water. But there is something else that coincided with my digression. I changed to stiffer boots. I thought it was just a matter of getting used to them, and maybe it is. I went back to check the numbers and here is what I found.
2014 – Ran 38off 248 times and 39off 3 times. (I spent a lot of time trying to get smoother at 38off before cutting to 39off.)
2015 – Ran 38off 98 times and 39off 10 times. (2 of those were slower speeds to show a 32 and 30 mph skier that it could be done slower.)
2016 – Ran 38off 97 times. I switched to stiffer boots and only ran 38off 5 times after that in 2016.
2017 – Ran 38off 18 times.
2018 – Ran 38off 16 times.
When I look at those numbers, it is easy to blame the boots, but again, there were other issues.

I switched back to my older softer hard shells yesterday and did not like them on my first pass. They felt better on my next pass, and continued felling better throughout my set. I am excited to see what happens as I continue using them.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 5 months, 2 weeks ago #9678

• BudDavis
Just an update.

I skied four more days/sets and I feel great with these boots. There is also the chance that it is because I have had more time on the water this week also.

I do not know why softer boots would make the ski faster, but it feels like they did.

If next week is like this week, I might give a shot at the purple loop.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 5 months, 2 weeks ago #9679

I know of a handful of skiers that went from powershells to reflex and back to powershells. They said the powershells were softer and described the same feelings you are having Bud. I got a new reflex front. Exactly like I had before but not sure I like it better than my old broke down one
The most important thing is to have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 4 months, 1 week ago #9685

• BudDavis
Another update:
I think I might feel better now than I have in quite a while.

I started feeling really good with my skiing and then had an episode with kidney stones. The medicine I started taking made me dizzy. My skiing got off track during that time. I stopped taking it 10 days ago and I am skiing better now. I actually cut to 38 today and ran it without much difficulty. Too much slack though. This was only the second time I cut to 38 this year.

That is the good news. The bad is, I have not passed them and might need to have them removed from both kidneys next week.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 4 months ago #9686

Sorry to here about the Stones...I will be having a Knee Operation on Apr 5th that has effected my skiing since Aug. I hope things are better for both of us after these things are over.

As far as new equipment goes, I highly suggest switching ZO to Revision S and the new Masterline Optimized Rope. These both are a significant change that you need to get use to, and both will be used in all the Tournaments this year. Both will really improve your skiing but could be quite a surprise if you have never used either one before.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 2 months, 1 week ago #9719

I had Kidney stones 4 years ago. Found a good Chinese Herbal formula the will usually clear stones in about 2 days.. If you have not cleared them soon. LET me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9725

• BudDavis
Update. I have already passed all of last year. I have run seventeen 38s so far this year and fourteen of those were in the past three weeks. Some of those were shorter than 38. I have loops at 11.25m 11.125m, 11m and 10.875 before getting to 39.

I have made some bobbles and recovered. I do like these boots. I wonder if they were stiffer, if I would have recovered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9726

What are your current boots? And the stiffer ones?

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9727

• BudDavis
I am now back on some worn out split and cracked Goode Power Shells.
The stiff boots were the same as the Reflex SuperShell.

I think stiffness is good, but we might need a little forgiveness also.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9728

I think many people feel that softer is better. The powershell is said to be among the softest of the hard shells. As to the equipment or the skier, I think they go hand and hand. Got to have gear this fits your style.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9729

Hey Bud let me ask you a question if I could. I've started the year skiing on powershells after skiing rubber for a long time thus my interest in this post. I like them quite a lot but my skiing has taken a hit. (also been off for a long winter) Got about 4 sets so not extremely worried. How tight do you keep the powershells? Front and back different?

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9730

• BudDavis
When switching from rubber to hard shells, it might be good to start out kind of loose, then slowly tighten as you get used to them.
Eventually the front could be snug for control and the rear, toes snug and heel and cuff slightly loose. You should not be able to pull your rear foot out but lift heel some.

All of that is personal preference though.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9732

Thank you!

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 1 month, 1 week ago #9737

• BudDavis
Update: 31 38s now the percentage is going up also. I would guess it is a little higher than 50%. Some days I get it off the dock and some days I get it back to back. Some days I just lose concentration at 5 and do something silly and the pass ends. Sometimes I mess up pretty badly and still run it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skiboyny

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 2 weeks, 3 days ago #9746

• BudDavis
Update:
I just got back in from a July 4th set and uploaded my videos. I am at 51 38s so far this year. Some were shorter than 38 with in between loops. So, I thought I would check some stats for June.

18 sets (18 days) in June (16 practice sets and 2 tournaments sets)
Did not ski 12 days out of 30 in June.
Ran 109 passes in those 18 sets.
Did not cut to 38 on June 1st or 2nd. I did not shorten past 32off those two days. I do not remember why.
Cut to 38 at least once every set after those two days.
Ran 27 38s in June.
Ran 38 at least once every set I cut to it.
10 passes were at two tournament and two of the 38s were at tournaments.

Only passes missed were 38 or shorter.

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 3 days, 18 hours ago #9755

Bud, I am trying a 2019 Vapor Lithium 66. Sometimes it turns well on offside, 1/3/5, and other times school bus. It is likely me on back foot. Have you had success moving front boot up a bit, or lifting the rear heel?

It feels good, but my scores are down some. I usually run 32 off most days, but not much on this one. 28 and 30 loop seems nice.

I'm at stock 29 5/8 and moved to 29 3/4 or even 7/8 with varied success. Curious as your thoughts?
Coach3

Re: Is it the equipment or the skier? 3 days, 12 hours ago #9756

• BudDavis
Generally, I have most always liked stock settings and then work on me. Companies usually have a lot of people trying settings to come up with their so called “stock settings.”

Moving bindings sometimes has the opposite effect of what some people might think. Sometimes moving binding back gives a skier comfort or confidence to put more weight on front foot. Whereas moving bindings forward can sometimes make a skier weight their back foot more and hurt their skiing. It is important to video so you can see what is really happening.

And I do have my rear heel wedged up.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Free business joomla templates