Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski?

How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 5 months ago #9031

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski?

Some ski companies will supply longitudinal flex numbers with their skis. Some do not and the purchaser flexes it for themselves. If you keep up with the flex numbers of different skis and make notes of what you like and do not like, you might see a pattern over time. This can give skiers a better idea of what they might like before they even try it, or even order a ski based on their flex preferences.

I recently conducted a test to see how different plates affect the flex of skis. Some plates mount tightly to the ski and some float. Keep in mind; the tests were for plates only. Boots would also add stiffness to a ski.

The first test was an OB4 plate. The plate itself was super flexible, but when mounting tightly to the ski per instructions, it added 14.7 lbs of flex at 25” and 14.5 lbs at 33”

I removed the plate and put a thin layer of nylon between the ski and plate and tightened only the front two screws and left the rest of the screws slightly loose. I tested it again. It only added 0.1 lb of flex at 25” and 1.7 lbs at 33”.

Radar has a full sequential floating plate that I also tested. It added 1.5 lbs at 25” and 5.5 lbs at 33”.

Now to G10 plate mounted with Dual Lock. It added 5 lbs at 25” and 9 lbs at 33”

Again, keep in mind, these test were done with plates only and adding boots to the plates would most likely add more stiffness. It would take significant modifications to the flex tester to flex a ski with boots in place.

Here is a link to how to build your own flex tester. www.skiall6.com/helpful-tips/94-build-a-flex-tester-yourself
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Johnson, DW, SkiJay, TravisTorley

Re: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 5 months ago #9033

• DW
Nice test, curious to know what % increase or naked ski flex numbers at that location? I assume the nylon provided slip between the ski and plate and appears to be very low Mu. Your data demonstrates that Dual lock is not flex free.

Can the machine accept basically the sole of a boot, perhaps an old roller blade boot chopped off with just some of the sides coming up to provide some stiffness?

Re: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 5 months ago #9034

I keep trying to up-grade to the new and lighter boot, but always ski better and more consistantly on my OLD HO Phantoms. Old, heavy rubber boots. Don't know the real reason, but stuck on old tech for now.

Re: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 4 months ago #9046

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
Well, look what I saw advertised today. It looks like someone is trying not to change the ski with the bindings.
I wonder about the release. They seem kind of high for your foot to slide out. Can anyone coment one these?
connellyskis.com/categories/bindings

Sync.PNG

Re: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 3 months ago #9128

It's very cool that you did this testing, Bud. You've put numbers to something I've been harping on for a long time. I personally use Radar Vapor boots, and try five different setups with them with any ski I'm serious about. I'll try the Sequence plate bolted tightly to the ski for max stiffness, then the Sequence with the back floating and front bolted down, then the front floating and the back bolted down, then the front and back floating, then the thinner, lighter, double plates. All five setups ski noticeably differently from each other. And this opens some interesting options up to skiers who are a bit too big or small for the ski they are on.

I've found that Setting up the Sequence to float at both ends makes a lot of skis too flexible, delivering too much surprise tip pressure when scrambling. This leads me to believe that most skis are laid up with some binding stiffening in mind. But even when matching bindings and skis from the same manufacturer, it's best to not take binding flex for granted. Matt Rini told me a year ago that even though the Sequence plate is designed to be a full floating system, he bolts down both ends of the Sequence plate on every Vapor he sets up.

Re: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 3 months ago #9129

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
Great input SkiJay.

Re: How Do Your Binding Change Your Ski? 3 years, 3 months ago #9130

• DW
In addition to the data demonstrating the change in flex, also consider the gradual change as your binding fasteners loosen over time. With this in mind, consider the checking frequency and torque level you apply to the fasteners to maintain a consistent package that suits your skiing. Just another rabbit hole to chase down when things go off as tightening the fasteners is probably done much more randomly than we realize.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Free business joomla templates