Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Vapor Boots

New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8427

• AB
I have been on Strada boots since they came out. They fit great right out of the box, and didn't have to heat them up or anything.

Bought a new Vapor boot and it was super tight, so did the oven heat with sock and toe cap,,which made it fit real nice. Went out and skied like crud. Even missed a couple deepwater starts.

The new boot is really stiff and I think I am not flexing my ankle like I was in the old boot. Ski is not turning and I can feel that I am on the tail.

Anyone else experience this?

Re: New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8428

AB ... I can only shed light on the flexibility issue..Some time a go, when I got my Mapple ski, Andy strongly suggested going to the Reflex Front and R Style Rear..He said it will give your rear ankle more flexibility and allow you to move your hip more to the inside, something I have been working on for a long, long, time. I have been on Powershells since 1994 and always figured the spring on the rear boot allowed me to do that..I told Andy I would come over and try his setup out when his new ski came out..Now that he is gone I don't know the status of that....Anyway, on my last set I decided to remove the top cuff on my rear powershell to simulate the R Style rear and it felt really good..When I watched the video I about fell out of my chair at how much more forward I could bring my rear leg, which in turn brought the hip to the inside.
HUGE HUGE visual difference..So the plan now is to switch from the Powershells to the Reflex Supershell with the R Style Rear.

Bottom line, your question about ankle flexibility has a lot of validity and I believe that was the negative influence you had on your skiing.

PS: Are you getting a 69" 2016 Vapor ??? I hear they are greatly improved.

Re: New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8431

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
For me, a stiffer boot or different liner makes a huge difference in my skiing, but I generally adapt.

Re: New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8432

• AB
Ed, I picked up a 69" Lithium Senate. This ski rocks!
It turns. Let me repeat that, a 69" ski that turns. (At least prior to tonight with the curve ball the Vapor boot threw at me).

I hardly skied the last couple seasons, and was on a 69" Triumph just getting some exercise.

Within 3 sets on the LS, I was into 35 off. Not full speed, but for what little skiing I have been doing, it felt great to rip some 28/32 off passes and feel like I could run 35. Anytime I can two hand 6 at 32 off, I feel pretty good, at any speed.

The new boot tonight felt a lot like when I went to hard shells from Animals many years ago. It took several rounds for me to adjust and then pass up the Animals.

With our season winding down, I put the old Strada boot back on tonight. Want to just have fun and enjoy skiing again. Today was a step backward.

The oven treatment worked like a charm. The old Stradas fit great out of the box, so this was my first batch of binding liner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Johnson

Re: New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8433

My ski partner had the same problem with the new boots. Pour hot water with your feet are in them and flex back and forth. They need a little break-in. His are good now and feel like his vapors.

Re: New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8434

I tried the blue 2015 Vapor boots a few weeks ago. I could not get the front boot to fit. Like you I am on Powershells and have ordered a Reflex powershell and intend to use a soft rubber back boot that I know will release. I tried that Reflex half shoe / boot but got too much heel lift. Let us know how you get on.

Re: New Vapor Boots 3 years, 11 months ago #8436

• AB
One of my ski buds went from power shells to reflex double. He really likes it. No pre releases either.

I leave my back Strada boot pretty loose and know that my heel comes up when skiing.
It was only the front boot that I switched to a Vapor. I may need to flex front and back like indicated above. I sort of push my toes forward in my deepwater start, and I couldn't get the normal flatness of my ski, so the starts were tough. Also felt like I couldn't flex my ankle with ski out in front of me, so the weight stayed over the tail.

I hope to get wet tomorrow, with old boot back on, so hope to make some more runs at 35.

So far I have used Rini setup (he actually set it up) and have the Sequence plate one hole forward.
Would like to try Rossi settings at some point.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Free business joomla templates