Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What could one degree make on a wing?

What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8299

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
I have been putting off trying 9° on my wing. Today, I changed it from 8° to 9° and it felt awesome at 28, 32 and 35. However, when I cut to 39, I did not like the way it felt at #2 and #4.

I was expecting the possibility of a loss of width, but I had a lot of trouble turning the ski on my off side (2,4). I did like that #1 and #3 felt great. Again, I did not have a problem turning 2, 4, 6 at 28, 32, or 35.

So now the question becomes: If I did not like 9° as much as 8°, then how would 7° feel?

I guess I will find out tomorrow. And the dog chases his tail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Johnson

Re: What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8306

• AB
Wings are under-rated in their impact on the turns.

Re: What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8314

Well.... did you try it at 7?
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8315

• BudDavis
I ended up not skiing yesterday. I should be trying it late today.

It is kind of funny. I try to ski every day, so if something happens that makes it where I can not ski, my body loves the break.

Re: What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8323

• BudDavis
Well, I missed two days, but got out today and skied with the wing at 7°.

I actually totally forgot I changed the wing during the first two passes. I skied 28 and told the driver at the end that I felt different. I skied back at 32 and felt a little different, but was getting a little more comfortable. When I dropped after the 32, it dawned on me that I had changed the wing. I then ran my 35 knowing I changed it, and ran a second 35. I cut to 39 and felt that I had so much extra width and space ahead of the buoys. I ran it with what I felt at the time was relative ease. I have now watched the video and am surprised to see it look so sloppy. I do not remember it feeling sloppy.

By the way, my driver asked if I want to cut to 41. I went back to 35 to ski back to the dock and reinforced the technique that I feel is getting me through 39. I ended the set there.

Here is the 39.

Re: What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8324

• BudDavis
Should I stay here or chase my tail some more? In other words; should I go down to 6° and see if I like it even better than 7°?

Thoughts?

Re: What could one degree make on a wing? 4 years ago #8325

• LEE
  • So, your sayin' there's a chance!
Nothing sloppy there in my opinion. Maybe just a tad extra late speed that needs to be dispersed before apex. (i.e. a tad more outbound direction @ edge change and/or allowing a tad more Turning edge/angle @ edge change all the way to Buoy) Which I believe could be ironed out with some more time on the loop with that set up. -trusting that you have both the Speed and time to get there and get around the next Buoy.

My guess would be that 6deg's, especially at your lengths will not produce welcome results. Coming from a very reputable source; 7-9 is the optimum range for most of todays ski's and occasionally 10 will work. Below 7 deg's will begin to interfere with the native plane of the ski and produce counter productive characteristics.

*** @ Long line, (up to -32 and full speed) No wing is typically beneficial...
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Free business joomla templates