Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: If you use Powershells, check them.

If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7558

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
I have Powershell 5s, but I think this could happen to any hard shell boot bolted down to a g-10 plate.

As I rounded a buoy yesterday, the bolt heads of my front boot heal pulled out due to the plastic cracking around them. It caused some injury to my ankle. So, I am actually sitting with ice around my foot as I am typing.

I check my ski and binding before I ski, but I had a very thin insole taped in that boot, so I could not see.

Have any of you had bolt heads pull through your boot soles?

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7560

I've pulled the screws through the plate on my rear binding (and bent the toe portion up) and also pulled the back plastic inserts out of a Goode. With the insert incident, the front screws on the binding pulled out of the remaining inserts and the entire binding detached. Both times were during the pull through the gate and edge change into one ball. Realized the issue both times, aborted the turn, let the handle go, and wobbled/coasted to a stop.

For the incident where I pulled the screws through and broke the aluminum of the binding, I was not using any washers to help distribute the load over more aluminum in that slotted area.

BindingScrewPullThrough.jpg
Goode XT - 65.25" with Wiley double high wraps
2009 Malibu Response LX with Zero Off Rev R - Setting C2

Ranked in the top 50 for US Open Men's slalom

My skiing is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7561

Last season I ripped the screws through the carbon plate on my R style rear. Mapple suggested I switch to an aluminum plate to keep that from happening. Guess carbon isn't any better than the aluminum plates.
The most important thing is to have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7562

I have been using Powershells since 1994 and experienced, I am sure, everything that can happen to them...To prevent what Bud described, the first thing I do, is place the largest washers I can fit, into the inside of the boots, front and rear, to distribute the load over a wider footprint...Never a problem again.

The other common problem I had was the lower seam, that runs along the side, front to rear, has a tendency to separate over time...Once again, even with a brand new pair, I run 2" Black Plastic Tape right down the seam. One inch above and below the length of the seam..Never a problem again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7563

• BudDavis
Ed,
Mine split as well, but what kind of tape is strong enough to hold that together?

I have used metal plumbers hanging strap to mend it back together, and even that metal tears in two after a while.

I am thinking about cutting an insole out of G-10 and running the bolts through that. But, I still have the problem Ed mentioned about the sides ripping from the bottom.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7573

The first time I had my front boot split at the seam, I was at a Tournament at Bennett's...I had a roll of Gorilla Tape in my Motor Home and used that..It worked well enough to get me through the weekend..I called Goode and they sent me a new one..The first thing I did with the new one was to run Gorilla Tape down all the outside seams and place large washers on the inside holding points..Never a problem again..Since that time I have had more Powershells and now use the shiny Black 2" 3M Plastic Tape I get at the local Hardware store, since you don't even notice it's there...Works just fine on the 2 Pair of Powershell 5's I have now.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7574

• BudDavis
I am going to guess that the tape on the new boots might be protecting the plastic from UV rays, more than actually adding any strength.

Thank you Ed.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7581

Actually, I believe it adds just enough additional support to keep it from splitting...Gorilla Tape will do that for sure, just looks a little bit ugly...I don't even notice the Black 3M Tape.

Before I started using the tape, my boots would split in about one years time...Never had a split using the tape and my oldest pair is 4 years old. My newest pair two years old.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7583

1234.JPG

567.JPG

I've been there too!!

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7584

I guess that's a dead give away that I'm an Electrical Contractor!! Ha Ha

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7585

• AB
Frankenboot!

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7586

I've seen that done with Tie Wraps for a broken boot, but that is something out of an old Mel Gibson Movie..LOL

Think I'll stick with the Gorilla Tape for a broken boot and the 3M Tape for new boots.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7617

Keith, are you from Tallahassee or something? Talk about backwoods redneck! Git R' Done!

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7620

Yea , Tallahassee for sure . It was do that or not ski the weekend.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7621

Attachment wakeye.MOV not found

One more red neck invention!!

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7622

Attachment wakeye.MOV not found

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7623

Oh well I guess I don't know how to upload file

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7624

• BudDavis
I think the .mov file has to go on something like you tube first and then here.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7626

Bud is absolutely correct..Used it many times on U-Tube for my music videos, works great !!!

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 10 months ago #7628

Attachment HYspLgo7hVE[1] not found

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7629

• BudDavis
Keith,
I posted the url from your you tube.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7630

Keith, do you have any video shot with the "stabilizer" in place? Or, even better, a side-by-side video comparison of stabilizer versus no stabilizer. I like the idea and am interested in the difference it makes.

Bud, if you have the Wakeye, could you evaluate the improvement in some of your upcoming sets?
Goode XT - 65.25" with Wiley double high wraps
2009 Malibu Response LX with Zero Off Rev R - Setting C2

Ranked in the top 50 for US Open Men's slalom

My skiing is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7631

• BudDavis
MISkier,
My past experience is that a little slop seemed to have been better for me than a real firm connection. For me, it seemed to allow some vibration to dissipate before reaching the camera. However, it could be that a heaver recording device like a tablet might need more support for the weight factor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MISkier

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7638

• BudDavis
Here is one of my mending jobs.

Heel bolts with washers ripped out, so I made a G-10 plate to replace the washers.

0325151334b.jpg

0325151335a.jpg

Both sides of the boot ripped lose from the sole. I used plumber hanging strap (doubled). I have used the straps before, and they always eventually rip and I have to replace them.

0325151335.jpg

0325151334.jpg

0325151334a.jpg

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7639

I will do a comparison this weekend and post. Cell phones are not a problem. The large i-pads has so much more weight and wind drag. A friend sent the video to Wakeye and they are thinking about making a stablizer. The water pump impeller works but is a little pain changing the rope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MISkier

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7640

• BudDavis
A solution for shortening the rope would be to use a jump switch and remove a 0.5m section from your rope. I remove my pink 41off loop while using my jump switch. You can still cut to 41off; you just connect to the 43off loop, which in my case is my main line.

Another good thing about doing this is eliminating the wear on the rope from a non-swiveling pylon.

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 9 months ago #7641

Bud, That's a great idea! That will work for most of us. We have one skier into 41(allmost every time) so I guess We could just deal with impeller for him. thx

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 6 months ago #8138

Hi Guys. How many of you pivot the rear boot on a Powershell? or do you wear them dead straight?

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 6 months ago #8139

• BudDavis
I rotate my rear foot only, but it continues to rotate a little more on its own. I have to un-rotate a little from time to time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidKaye

Re: If you use Powershells, check them. 4 years, 6 months ago #8140

Front PS rotated 1/4" to the Right, and rear PS rotated 1/2 inch left..RFF....Like Bud said, the rear will rotate there on it's own anyway.

Also, front and rear heal are elevated 1/4".
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidKaye
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.83 seconds
Free business joomla templates