Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months.

Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 5 months, 1 week ago #9847

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Wahoooo. I skied today after not skiing for over 5 months. Wow, was I surprised. The last pass I skied at my lake before being injured at the Reagionals was 38off. I have been picturing in my mind skiing and watching a lot of videos, so I was expecting to feel more normal than I actually felt.

I started 2 mph slower than I normally ski, but put it on 28off. I fully expected to run the pass, but probably sloppy. Wrong! I could not even edge change. The first two passes, I went through the gates and could not get the ski off of the far edge.

I then got a piece of rope from under the seat and added it. The next two passes were at 22off, and I still could not change edge. It might have just been my subconscious trying to protect my two knees and ankle after surgery. It has only been three weeks since the last surgery.

I then told myself exactly what I tell my students, and I ran the six next passes. I felt like skiing more passes, but I knew my body would regret it later, so I ended the set.

I am very excited to continue skiing and hopefully get back to 34mph and short line.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 5 months, 1 week ago #9848

Glad to hear you are back on the water Bud! Take it easy and don't over do it. It takes time to come back from any injury especially after 3 surgeries.
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months, 4 weeks ago #9849

• RL
So what is it you tell your students if you don't mind my asking?

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months, 4 weeks ago #9850

• BudDavis
I tell people to stand tall and proud on front foot, while pushing handle down. Then while in that position, only tilt to the side of the ski. (Not pull against the boat.)

Good question RL.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months, 4 weeks ago #9851

• RL
Just checking to see if there was a path I wanted to consider. For the most part, that is the path I've on for the last year and similar to what I was on when I skied my best. In most of my 50s, I was too lost in what I was doing and enduring too much back pain to be effective. Probably about a year ago, I decided if I was going to keep doing this, I was going to have to fix some things in my skiing. So really paying attention to what alignment Adam has and how he is able to ride any ski with any setting and still ski at an extremely high level no matter what the conditions were, I felt like he is the "poster child" for how to stand and move on a ski.
So for the start of this transition, the goal has been to first figure out as many of my deficiencies as I could and then figure out how to correct them. The correcting part was/is harder than I thought. When I ask Adam "What are you doing here?" the answer is almost always wrapped around "stand as tall as I can". Even though, this is similar to what I did when I skied my best (15 years ago) there was way too much I felt like I was missing in swing speed and far too inconsistent with my movements. I kept playing with nuances of the basic thought and trying to figure out how to be the most efficient throughout. The first key in this has been to figure out how too ski with my core. I then realized that for most of my skiing life, I didn't know how to do that...even in little bit. When I first figured out a little bit of that, there would be days that I could ski better than I have in years and then days where I would struggle...a lot. There would be days where I can run an early, wide line and skiing would feel magical and having too much space would mess me up. The other key that has helped quite a bit is starting to figure out how to ski the handle path. This is another one of those things that lots of great skiers talk about in one way or another that I didn't know how to do. Both of these things are starting to come more into focus.

In relation to these 2 things working together, this is how I warp my head around the better ability to stay aligned (or standing tall). Now I'm about to say something that will mess some people up and it's possible that no one on here will agree with what I'm about to say but this was has been part of the key for some of this to work for me. It's also possible that I will change the way I think about this in the future. What we (most of skiing world) has referred to as the "pull or load" I try to think of as "drive" because I'm driving my hips into the rope alignment and/or handle path. In my head, I'm doing this pretty much everywhere...from the moment I start trying to influence the ski. I think of it as pulling form one apex to the next except that I don't think of it as pulling. I had to remove any concept of tug-o-war from my head.

One of the things Jamie Beauchesne told me long ago was that his concept of skiing was to lead with the center of mass. As I journey down this road, this feels like a simple way to say what I'm trying to describe. When things are clicking, it feels like I'm swinging and all I do is let the handle out in a general area that I want to apex.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months, 4 weeks ago #9852

• BudDavis
I like what you are saying RL.

I think if more people did what you are saying, they would improve.

Here is a post that supports what you are saying, I think.

www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9673-d...-drive-your-ski#9673

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months, 4 weeks ago #9853

• RL
Most of that post makes perfect sense in hindsight. When I skied that way long before, it was mostly due to Lucky having me do certain things and then certain drills after doing those things that reinforced the movements and I was skiing more days per week. Somehow, I was doing mostly decent stuff through some sort of muscle memory and repetition. But the fact is that I had no deep understanding of what I was doing and why it worked. I just knew that some days I could make it feel pretty easy. Then a bunch of "New School" and WC slalom came along as well as all kinds of other ideas that made me think I wasn't doing it as well as I could be that led me to being lost for a long, long time. Who knew Lucky, Bob, Kristi and Jeff were doing it right all along. There are people who I listened to that I should not have listened to and I'm still sorting through some of that even today.But a lot of that was my own incorrect interpretation.

I'm not to the stage where it feels as easy as it did back then but I think I have a better understanding of how/why it works. Of course skiing with Adam and starting to trust more and better digest his philosophy is making things become clearer.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months ago #9861

• RL
How's the repair work holding up Bud?

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months ago #9862

• BudDavis
Thank you for the inquiry RL.

I am thankful my foot is not worse. I understand the numbness throughout my foot and realize nerves are slow to heal. The pain in my talar head and talar neck is painful due to bone marrow edema. It does not seem to be getting any better. I wish I knew if I should exercise it more or less to help it.

I have skied some, but I am so protective on my off-side, I may be picking up bad habits. I can feel myself getting on my back foot to the gates and out of 2 and 4 to protect myself. If I try to get on front foot to get more angle, I cannot feel what is going on under my foot and feel out of control like I might crash.

To avoid frustration, I count my blessings. I have more than I deserve.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 4 months ago #9863

• RL
Sorry to hear it's happening slower than you hoped. Read everything you can about your situation. Be patient and hopefully you'll get back to 100% or close enough. Ankle and foot injuries seem to take forever to get right...and that's without all the surgeries. Hopefully by this time next year it will just be a memory.

Re: Back on water after 3 surgeries and 5 months. 3 months, 4 weeks ago #9865

Hey strangers. Bud, you'll be back. You're the most determined person I know. Thanks for this thread. I like what I'm hearing. I need to jack break everything down and start over. For one, I'm having a lot of body ailments. The worst being my hip and back. With my hip, if I stand tall and push my hips forward, I get a lot or pain right at the front of my hip pelvis area...bursitis and other stuff. Some days I really carry it in a flexed position...so this really makes the hips forward tall stance tough. That plus old bad habits...especially the bad habits of being on my back foot and trying to tug-of-war against the Excalibur beast. I'm in winter now. But when back out there I need to figure out how to start from scratch, not worry about chasing buoys, etc. Thanks again guys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Free business joomla templates