Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are your 2016 season goals?

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8913

Hi Heppie

Yepp. It seems like we are on the same level.

Here is my background FWIW.

I started summer house skiing around 1968.
Unfortunately it was only one set per every other summer or so.
Bought my first slalom ski around 2000 (Big Daddy)
Now I skied almost one set every summer and learned to barely star on one ski in the water

5 years ago when I was 52, I contacted a club and saw a ski boat and a slalom course for the first time.
They looked at my big ski and asked if I was a bit to old to leran to ski the course.
I had to admit, yes that is the case but I want to learn anyway.
Got me a Radar Theory and had to re leran starts on that small ski.
Took me type 60 sets to make all six on 26.

I start o finally get my act together and can occasionally ski a great and early 30.
Late last fall I started to make 2,3 full 32 per set.

This season has started great. Ice went away end march and we started ski mid April.
Ok it was still snowing and sometimes thin parts of ice in the mornings.
I have now 20 sets and best was with 5 full 30 and 2 full 31,3 so I believe that the 32 will come in a few weeks.

Stared to trick last year and have now best run of 400 points in type 30 seconds
I do think that Trick help my slalom.

Keep on fighting!
Enjoy every day.
Living well is the best revenge!

Improving intermediate.
PB training. 6@33,6 / 4@34 15 Off. LFF.
Radar Senate 67. Dbl Profile. Quantum, Reflex trick ski.
Home ski site Lambarö VSK Stockholm Sweden

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8914

Enjoyed your video. You look pretty good and clean. Turn 1 and 5 were killer.

You do the same thing that all of us do as we learn how to pull harder. We have to get the hips forward and shoulders back.Not as rounded. That puts the rope closer to the hips and actual reduce the strain in the muscles of the middle back area. A stronger pulling position. Once that happens you will notice how much stronger your pull is. You will also start getting sore in the trap area instead of the mid-back. that was a big change for me.

Good luck and see how that works for you. It 3 years for me to figure that move out. Wish someone had said it in a way that I understand earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gsm-peter

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8915

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
I agree, Great on side!

You seem to be on the tail of your ski on your on side. Video a lot and try to get your off side to look like your on side. You will have to push yourself out of the defense mode, which is the back of the ski, and get in the offense mode, which is 90° tall in relation to front to back, and lean off the side of the ski.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8916

Thanks for the feedback Chris and Bud
It is always great to get some nice words about my achievements.
Extra thanks to Bud for your previous video coaching.
There are a thread from me starting at 26 barley manage all6 up to last season.

The film was from a coached session in France last week.
We skied approx 70 passes in 4 days so that was a lot.
The only thing that is consistent with my skiing is that tit is very inconsistent

However, things are getting better now. Starting to make 4-5 full passes (of 6) at 30 mph now.
Will continue on 30 until I make 7/8 passes.
Plan then to slightly increase speed.

The major aha feeling I got was about counter rotation.

Will try to put words on the feeling. (Sorry for my language)
I have never counter rotation much before end last season but now I do understand what happens when I do not stretch out the arm.

During the end of the turn the ski rides deeper in the water (for all of us).
When my arm is close to the body in the end of the turn and I start to lean I have to load the rope not falling.
Since the turn is not fully finished, the ski rides deep and I lean backwards away from the rope, not away from the boat.
The ski goes then in the same direction as the rope....

When I manage to counter rotate it is much easier to complete the turn and start loading later.
I then get much better angle and become much earlier (at lower effort)

It felt really great the few times I manage that.
Guess I also was more on the COM of the ski.

Gd night

Peter
Enjoy every day.

Improving intermediate.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8921

www.waterskimag.com/features/2015/07/11/...wesome-offside-turn/

This is a better way to describe skiing back to the handle instead of reaching for it.

Seth said in a coaching set, pretend that I have a bunge cord from my elbow to my hip so when I reach my hip goes forward too.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8922

Ski Season Started!!

So I have free skied (3) time the past week and a half. Conditions were not too good all three days.

Day 1 I tried to do a bunch of drills with just two handed, Didn't think this was too productive. I tried to get my hips to the handle multiple times on the full lean out and you've got to help me out here. I COULD NOT!!

Day 2- Tried something totally different and decided to just try the Lucky Loew slow and easy turns back and forth with no slack. ALSO, I decided to try and pick up my back ankle as much as possible and drive my back(left) knee into my front knee trying to keep me more Neutral. Bottom line?? IT WORKED!!, and I felt that I really hit a milestone with getting me more on top of my ski and more centered and stacked!

Day 3 a bunch of the same from Day 2 with keeping my back ankle lifted up(I've got Radar Vector double boots). With the boots being flexible, the ankle lift is pretty easy, but of course very weird from being on the back foot for over 50 years!!

Where do I go from here everyone?? Going away for the long Memorial Day week-end. I would like to try the course if possible next week. Should I?? Or should I do some more quality free skiing before the course and maybe getting frustrated, but maybe not??

Your advice is priceless!! I am very excited going forward:)

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8924

• BudDavis
For people that have access to a course all the time and get distracted by the buoys, I would recommend to take some time away from the buoys and work some on fundamentals.

But if you do not have access to a course very often, then I would by all means ski the course when you get the chance.

Ski safely and have fun.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8934

Hi all

Hepple, how is your skiing progress?

My skiing progress reasonable well.
Made a great run yesterday.
4 passes 49 (30). 3 out of 4 successful.
1 pass 50 successful.
1 pass 51 successful.
1 pass 52 (32) successfully despite a crappy gate.
Hit the left gate ball Al bent over but managed to be early later in the run.
First 32 this season...

I have focused a bit more on elbows to the vest.
Not elbows to the side. More elbows just a bit more to the front. I do not lean enough to get them all the way down to the sides.
That made my position more open to the boat.

Is it time to start to run more 32?
Maybe open on 50kmh?
Thoughts? ?
Enjoy every day.

Improving intermediate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heppie

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8935

• BudDavis
That is great peter.
Looks like you need to update your PB under your avatar.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8936

Hi Peter,

Have not skied the course yet, but before going away for five days last Friday, I did get to "free ski" one more time to keep the ski muscles moving.

Conditions were not great and I was skiing on a 30 year old I/O to boot!! Still lifting up my back ankle as much as possible and driving this back knee into the front knee. I feel that I am very much more "neutral" and on top of my ski.

My buddies who have the course are either retired or have the availability to ski in the morning. the course is up and running and they have skied it twice. PM skiing up here has been non existent because of the heavy winds.

Free skiing I have started out at 30MPH and been working on the good leveraged position and pulling through both wakes.

I may be wrong Peter, but after my boat gets in the water and a couple of weeks working on some free skiing drills, my expectations are that I will be focusing on skiing the course regularly at 22 off and 32MPH!!

I can't see me skiing the course more than just "once a week" the summer, but I will be free skiing 4-5 days a week and hope that this will pay big dividends when I have the luxury of skiing the course. *I will take Bud's advice and try and make time to ski the course more often if possible*

I think the people I ski the course with could do much better on the course if they fine tuned their skills free skiing more often. When the summer gets into full swing they will course ski on average about three times a week.

The PB for the group last year was 15Off at 32MPH which I did twice at the end of the season. I think a couple of others also did this during the season. 22Off has not been in the equation for the group yet:)

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8938

Curling 25's now sets of 15 to 21 reps. Did 30's to 11 reps and had a set back, working my way back up. Hoping to be at the 35's within another week or two. Then try to get out of the water without ripping an arm muscle again. Designed a webbing strap to allow me to use the Goode vest to take more of the load off of the arms while new straps around the legs use the front leg to pull the back leg forward without using the torn groin muscle to do it. Excited to try it.

I was focusing on keeping the arms straight ( not bent ) before the last injury. It was actually helping to keep me smoother and less slack in the line.

So ready to get back out there.!!!!!

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8939

I want to put some kind of mark on my -39 loop, even if its just once.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8940

• BudDavis
It is funny how times change. I can remember back in the early 90s, the tournament announcer blowing a train whistle if anyone cut to 12m/35off and making a big deal about it.

At local tournaments now a days (If you can find one.), we are lucky to know who is skiing and what line length they are on, because of lack of announcing.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8950

I have been curling 35's again with my torn up arm. So today I finally trying skiing again.Used the Goode type Powervest to protect the arms and used 1" webbing to hold the upper legs together to get out of the water. The pull out was clean and no tearing. Play with open water for a few miles and dropped. Hoping to try the course this week or next. First Meet is on the 25th. Not much practice time between now and then.But just glad to be able to try again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8951

• BudDavis
That is awesome Chris.
Let us know how you progress.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8986

Skied Tuesday on the course for the first time of the year. One set and felt real uncoordinated.

Skied again today did a good bit better. Easy 15's and 22's working my way back up the line. NO damage again so far.

First contest planned is weekend after this. Hoping for 28 off's or better
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8987

• BudDavis
Be careful Chris. We can easily over do it at a tournament with the added adrenaline.

Great to hear you are doing so well.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 2 months ago #8989

Thank you Bud. Would not be skiing again EVER with the vest. Still not wise, but being careful until I find out that just can't do it anymore. Protecting my legs and knees as well. Weakened every muscle and tendon and ligament in my body.Musculo-skeletal issues are a given now. Doubled my chances of dissecting anurism, leaky heart valves and damage to any other stress bearing collegen in the body. BAD stuff!! Head of the FDA is under criminal indictment for this one plus other stuff she did while in office. This one has killed OVER 5,000 people ( not counting suicides) and harmed countless thousands. Ciproispioson.com

Concentrating on NEVER bending the arms. Avoiding slack line turns and just let the straps take the hit if I do get any slack. Stopping pulling the arms back to the waist and then feeding it back out. concentrating on sending the straight arm to the opposite hip and then connecting with the other hand waiting for it at the hip. I used to reach for it with my right hand on 1,3,5 (which was a mistake anyway.) The Goode Midride 9900 RFF has helped me a lot as well. Pretty much fixed my offside screw ups. Less pull, better angle, better out bound direction after the wake, setting me up for a better cast away from the rope and sharper more controlled turns.I have been stuck for several years at mid 28 off as a normal and an occational mid 32. 3.5 is my best ( velcro came off at that point. I was wide and early until 4 ball then NO ski connected. NOT a happy camper. LOL. I think I was going to run it, but will never know.) And it was in a tourniment!!!

Again Thank you.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 1 month ago #9008

Have been out the course for the last 2 weeks and competed Saturday for the first time since the last muscle pull. Ran 4 at 28 off which is a good normal pass for me. That is enough to get me to regionals w/o requiring placing at state.And I get to ski early in the morning before the wind picks up. LOL.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 1 month ago #9011

• BudDavis
Good skiing Chris.
I am rooting for you.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds
Free business joomla templates