Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are your 2016 season goals?

What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8783

What are your 2016 season goals and how do you plan to achieve them?
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8784

I have a certain Form and Technique that resembles snow skiing that I have worked on the last 2 years. It requires a lot of COM movement, and I was only able to achieve it after switching from Dual Powershells to the New Reflex Supershell with the R-Style Rear. I had no idea how restrictive the rear Powershell was to moving my back knee forward and increasing COM hip movement. Spent a good deal of the winter getting it right by free skiing it. The challenge was getting it right in the course. It was only recently that I have been bringing the course skiing up to the level of free skiing.
I start at 32 off, and when I get it right, it makes 32 and 35 feel easy. My goal for 2016 is to be able to do that at 38.

Teaching an old dog new tricks is mentally challenging. I can free ski this method easily, but turning away from the buoys is like taking a pacifier away from a baby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8794

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Good question Travis.

I am also goal oriented towards form. I believe if I improve my form, the buoys come automatically.

This might be the fifth of sixth year now that my main thing is to get off of the tail of my ski and shift more forward. I want to come through center line then immediately cast the ski away from the boat and be 90° vertical off of the top of the ski and headed out bound. (NOT AT THE BUOY.)

Lets hear more goals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heppie, TravisTorley

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8807

I had just switched to an assymetrical Goode Midride and loving it. Did some free skiing to get it set up and headed off to the course for the first time on it. Did a few easy passes and started up the line. 15 off's super easy. 22 off -- still very light and easy. Moved to 28 off - rounded bouy #1 and hooked and felt a severe pain in my left fore arm. Rounded 2 ball and was done. Torn Brachial radialis muscle. That is when I found this group and Bud helped me with his power vest and got me back on the water. Back into 28 off, but staying gentle on the arm. Then the season ended with a torn Groin muscle. Back leg tore as a drag leg, But severe pain and COULD NOT get out of the water due to the severe pain. Healed over the winter and have gone out a few times since January. Tender but not painful. Brought the boat in to park and gently grabbed the dock with my right hand and tore my elbow loose and dislocated the radial bone and the elbow. That was month ago and the pain is starting to reduce.

Figured out what was going on. CIPRO-- I took around last year and am one of the 1000's of people suffering from weakened tendons and muscles leading to muscle and tendon ruptures and severe disabling pain.!!!!!!DON'T TAKE IT EVER.!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY goal is to figure out how to stop tearing things into and get back into the upper 28 off's and beyond. Was looking at easy 28's and possible 32's when this started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heppie, TravisTorley

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8808

• BudDavis
Chris, that is awful.
What can you do to strengthen your tendons and muscles leading to muscle and tendons and get back to normal and how long will it take?

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8809

Chris,
I second what Bud said. At first when I was reading it I thought man this guy has the worst luck ever. Sorry to hear about the CIPRO stuff. That is just awful. Hope you can heal and stay healthy this year.
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8814

Thank you both.

Doing my research, but all reports are that damage is permanent and progressive. MY point is to NEVER take Cipro lightly.I am in alternative health care so I am looking around for out of the normal treatment, since standard Medicine says there is nothing to do and many cases are FAR worse than mine.

It poisons the Mitochondria and shut down the function of the cell. Worse in older people due to slower functioning anyway. They say tendonitis but mean tendon destruction. DON'T TAKE IT EVER!!!!!!

I am looking into nutritional support and detoxification, acupuncture, laser therapy, and a few others at the moment.
Hopeful but still looking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heppie

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8817

• BudDavis
That is tragic. I hope you can find the help you need.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8823

I don't know how old you are, but I can relate to your "pain" I am in dire need of hip replacements, but will put this off to salvage another ski season and the exciting info. that I have been learning from this site. Medial meniscus on my left knee done twice in the last 10 years. Dislocated my right shoulder doing a barefoot tumble turn off the boom 2 years ago. My barefoot days are over!

Since I am in the "coumadin for life club", I can only take extra strength Tylenol, but it does help before I ski.

I just recently started getting some intense middle of the back pain. Went to my orthopaedic guy and he diagnosed me with tight Hip Flexor's. I'm foam rolling for the flexor's and it is definitely helping.

I've never had any luck with Cipro either.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8824

Chris,

Have you ever tried Osteo Bi-flex?? It does work for some people. My good friend(avid tennis player) had knee problem and swears by Osteo Bi-flex. I did try it and it did work.
You might give it a try.

Good luck.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8825

Goals for me in 2016 Bud see that strong Neutral Stance perfected as much as I can to start with. Again, I am free skiing 90 percent of the time. I will be trying to hit the course more often in my schedule.

I think I will try and be more fluid in my skiing and concentrate on keeping my knees bent more and together and my ankles flexed to keep a better position.

We have a saying with our group at the course- "No Expectations". This year, I will have Expectations!!

My goal on the course- 22 off at 32MPH consistently. Previously last year I was 6-8 out of 10 of perfect passes at 30MPH through the course. Last two days on the course in the fall I skied "two"(one on each day)perfect passes at 15off at 32MPH.

I am so pumped to get out on the water.

Currently- 28 degrees in New Hampshire:)

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8826

• BudDavis
I cannot testify to this first hand, but I heard that it is better to free ski on a shorter rope than you ski in the course, and with a goal of no slack.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8827

I had thought mine was to run 38 in a tourney....but not sure now that I will actually ski in any. I only have 5 sets in, and not looking like I'm going to get to ski as much this year...having to take off a month of all training, etc really set me back.

Maybe I should just rethink my goals to ski once a week at least and run some 38s there....
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8828

If I have done 15off at 32MPH Bud, what line-length would you suggest for me to do on my lake and at what speed??

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8829

• BudDavis
Heppie,
I hope some free skiers will chime in, because I really do not know for sure.
My gut feeling would be to free ski your normal speed and start at 15off. If you are skiing slack free, then shorten.
Each time you shorten, start making your turns close to the wakes as you progressively get wider while keeping a tight line.
And so on...

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8830

Bud,

I'll have plenty to work on before I need to make these decisions.

I just need to get out on the water in the next couple of weeks. Temperature on Monday predicted to be in the 70's!! It is New England:)

Don't know where you are in SC, but my daughter went to college at Furman.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8831

Heppie -

I don't free ski much, but when I do, I always go up at least one level of difficulty. My normal start is 28 off, 34 mph, but when I free ski, I spend some time at 32 off, and then shorten to 35. I would suggest that you start free skiing at 34 mph 15 off. What is your max boat speed (how old are you...)? If your max is 34, I'd say spend time at 34 mph 15 off and then shorten to 22 off.
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8833

I am 63 years old. After doing a video analysis of my skiing, I asked Seth Stisher what my speed should be. He said no more 34's and I could concentrate on 32MPH from now on. He concentrated on my turn and the fact that I seem to "turn before its time" and not wait until the apex.

Just watching my video's and my PB from last October at 32MPH and 15 off, I have no problem going down to 22 off and free skiing here. I expect that just with my better angle and faster speed from the turn to my glide that 22 Off should be manageable.

From this winters education on slalom skiing in general, Seth Stisher's analysis, and two lesson's with Jodi Fisher, I am raring to go.

Thanks for your comments.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8834

I think you'll find that the ski will "work" better at 22 than 15.
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8846

Heppie: Thank you. Have spent the last couple weeks doing research on my new condition. Discovering how much Magnesium helps with this plus sore muscles. 2 cups ( about a pound ) of Epsom Salt in a hot bath. Absorbs the Mg through the skin so that it helps a lot of the pains and problems of aging.

The biggest thing on free skiing vs course is the extra fraction of a second you can allow yourself in the pre-turn in open water. Focus on maintaining out bound direction after the second wake and then let the cast out. That has been my down fall for years. Finally getting that fixed and it works SO much better.

Was able to curl 15 pounds for the first time since I ripped the last muscle. Hoping to try to ski once I can curl 30 to 35 again. If that happens.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8847

Chris, Hope you get to that 30-35 curls soon:)

"2016 Goals continued"- Chris, you can imagine that I have quite a few!! We will see how free skiing 90% of the time and doing the course 10% of the time will pan out??

PB at 32MPH at 15off last season. Realistic goal of 28off at 32MPH(Again, my 34MPH days are over!) by the end of the season?? I feel that just my extra pull/lean through both wakes will get me to 22off. We will see if John C. is correct that the ski will work better at 22off. I will go down to that once I have mastered the 15off consistently early off in the season. I have never skied 22off and maybe I should go down to 30MPH when trying it for the first time??

It will be fun free skiing with everything that I need to work on during the week. The course will be a bonus and a luxury that I hope can be had at least one day a week if not more!!

I am still looking for advice on my priorities for the free skiing drills on my lake. I look to do quite a few of Gordon Rathbun's drills and Seth Stisher's pull out and whip's drills.

Any other advice for my level??

VISION?? I've read quite a lot of articles on vision and where I should be looking on the course and where the shoulders should be headed.

So the core/hips should be heading outbound lined up with your ski with that nice upward angle across the wakes and into the glide and preturn.

Elbows to the vest with the arms straight with a lean to get that handle as close to the hips as possible??

Shoulders as "level" as possible and facing down the course or relatively so through out the course??

Thanks for everyone's advice:)

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8848

keeping the ski headed outbound after the second wake to set up a good off side turn will be one of the biggest things that you can do with continuing to accelerate. Fast at the ball is usually skiing " flat " after the second wake. Then trying to hook around the ball after drifting down course. Looking forward to watching your next video and making thoughts after that. Excited for you. It will be fun. Practice the rythem. The course is about timing as much as anything.

Love the training that I did with Seth. Teaches the important things first.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8851

I've got a good attitude Chris about what I have to do in 2016, and it will be fun!! Like a kid in a candy store, I will be free skiing on "my lake", with "my boat" and have all the time int he world to try and figure out what will work best first.

Soo, if I am a RFF skier are my off side turns at 1,3,5?? It seems that I have had trouble at the 1,3,5 buoys, but going at these buoy's is your strong side lean across the wakes??

I don't think that I have a lot of slack, but I know I do seem to be "skiing down the lake" as a result of going more straight at the ball!

Seth was all over my lack of rhythm in the turn and committing way to early instead of "waiting" for the apex and just before feeling the boat's pull to initiate the turn.

My earlier video's do not lie:)

Thanks for your advice:)

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8852

Yes, 1,3,5 are your off-side turns. We tend to be able to really hook 2,4,6 but get too much too fast and get pulled up and out of position too early. Then go flat and the rest is what we get. A GRANNY TURN on your off side. Requiring a great hook turn on your on side. Setting up another hard early pull and out of position early on your off side again.

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 4 months ago #8853

Chris,

I hope that skiing at 32MPH and concentrating on a good neutral position that I will be able to get a strong position and angle through the gates into 1, and avoid those Granny Turns at 2,4,6:)

I hope to be concentrating on skiing at 22off early in the season and with much practicing on my lake may be hitting 28off by the end of the season!

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8856

You will do great and enjoy it at the same time !!!! YES. Up to 17.5 pounds today. 20 in more than the damage will support, but is still increasing at a steady pace. YES !!!

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8857

PATIENCE will play a big piece Chris in your rehab.

Keep up the good work and good luck!

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8867

Have fun! I enjoy skiing a lot. I have always said it is about as much fun as you can have without getting into trouble for doing it

Really focused on my gates to enter the course skiing the same through the gates as around the buoys. Mostly I survive my gates and if lucky recover a good rhythm somewhere down the course. Why not just start that way. How hard can it be...
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8909

My goal this year is to
- Run 32 consistent
- Run 34 a bunch of times
- A few bois on 22 off

Baseline
PB is 3 and 4 bois on 34 but that might just have been some luck since I have hardly ever run 34.
Full pass at 33
A bunch of 32 late last season.

This year.
Started off at 28 and 29.
This week quite many 30 and some 51 km/h (type 31,4)

Need to improve many things but the last aha moment was when I had better counter rotation in pre-turn and turn.
Many things felt better. Managed to wait longer for the pull and get better angle. Became to wide and early at 30 so I had to wait not to turn above the boie.

Binding change for the season:
I put a piece of stiff rubber under my back heel.
The reason is that I lift my back heel even during the pull and that hurt the front side of the leg to much (pulling standing on the toe). I do not know why but it has become a major problem lately.
Tried it out for 4 days and it works great (at least for my leg).

Video using heel lift:
vimeo.com/166953479

Enjoy every day.
Living well is the best revenge!

Improving intermediate.
PB training. 6@33,6 / 4@34 15 Off. LFF.
Radar Senate 67. Dbl Profile. Quantum, Reflex trick ski.
Home ski site Lambarö VSK Stockholm Sweden

Re: What are your 2016 season goals? 3 years, 3 months ago #8912

Peter,

We may be in the same "boat" so to speak with our ability level??

I am 63 years old and only skiing at 32MPH now. My PB is two full passes at 32/15off last September. Just got in the water for the first time last Wednesday free skiing and it was very weird:) 50 years of skiing on my back foot and trying to have some semblance of slowly correcting this defect is going to be a summer long project. I tried to do some "drills" and I think this might have been a mistake:( I think I need to just go out and do some Luckey Loew skiing with slow methodical turns across the wakes with no expectations to start with. I have tried to stay in good shape and I have the stamina to have a good season in New England.

I started off my first few times up and down the lake at 32MPH and found out this was too fast. Dropped the speed down to 30MPH and it felt better, again, I haven't skied in over 8 months!!

Hope to free ski again tomorrow and maybe on Friday.

Looking for "ADVICE" from everyone out there on how I should start skiing "the real way for the rest of my life! and what to concentrate on free skiing before I hit the course maybe in a week or so.

Thanks for all your help.

I am excited
The following user(s) said Thank You: gsm-peter
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.71 seconds
Free business joomla templates