Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: An experiment - has anyone ever tried...

An experiment - has anyone ever tried... 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9830

I'm throwing out a bunch of things here so thank you for obliging me. So we tend to pull too long right? We should be done pulling at like mid-wake? This would take a patient driver, but has anyone tried just letting go of the rope after the wakes and allowing their speed and momentum to take them out to and around the buoy? Or am I thinking of it all wrong? Are we still getting energy somehow from the boat after the wakes even though we're not pulling?

Re: An experiment - has anyone ever tried... 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9831

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
I really like how you think about different things.

I think it is worth trying to see what happens, but we probably need the support of the handle for balance.

But again, I think it would be a neat experiment.

Re: An experiment - has anyone ever tried... 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9832

What is important to note here is the most important aspect. That is separating ski load from handle load. As an example, watch Nate Smith's Gates. First he is way up on the boat to start with. Then when he turns in he will put an immense lean/load to cast out off centerline, the Reverse C. In order to do that he will release ski pressure first, while still maintaining his lean. He will momentarily be in the leaned position, away from the boat, with the ski now on the other edge. That's why it's called the Rev. C, since that is what it looks like from the shore.

The important part is keeping that handle pressure, keeping the handle tight to your core. At this point you are not pulling, but actually pushing down on the handle, while squeezing it close to your core. The whole purpose is to build swing speed, to put you back up on the boat again.

So in answer to the original question. Yes you can build enough momentum to release off the centerline and make it around the buoy, but it is totally wrong to release ski pressure and handle pressure at the same time, because you will loose swing speed, and the boat will be moving away from you as you slow down, and you will keep getting narrower at each ball.

Hope this helps !!!

Re: An experiment - has anyone ever tried... 1 month, 3 weeks ago #9833

926_DSC_3675ab.JPG

Re: An experiment - has anyone ever tried... 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9837

• AB
If you let go of the handle mid-wakes or right after, make sure to take video.
I have had handle breaks in the middle and they are not fun or pretty!

Pros get so much more angle than average and even good skiers that they can transition much sooner. Every once in a while we may hit the right position by accident and have one of those wide eyed leans into the wake, but for the most part, we just don't lean away from the boat nearly as low to the water. Top skiers almost have their down hip skimming the water surface at times.

One thing you have to really watch is where the pressure is in your hands. Coming out of the turn or going into the gate, it should be in your lead hand, right going to 1 ball, and then as you enter mid wakes, you transfer more load into your trailing hand, left going to one ball. This keeps the handle in tight without pulling your upper body and shoulders over toward the boat. If you keep pressure on the right hand going to one ball, the boat will pull your right shoulder toward the boat, and you won't be able to keep your chest pointed outbound to ride the widest path to the buoy.

I also think I missed more shortline passes from over-pulling than under pulling.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Free business joomla templates