Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to stop applying the brakes

How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9809

This topic has been on here a lot and I know I'm guilty of this. I know I'm on my back foot too much always, but especially once I get around the buoy and get ready to accelerate across to the next side. It's so ingrained. What are some steps I can take to break this bad habit? Some mental cues, visualizations, drills, things to do and feel, etc? Thank you.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9810

And honestly it eludes me how people stay back yet still be on their front foot.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9811

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
There are many successful skier that weight their back foot somewhat. Here is a split screen of Chris Parrish and Nate Smith. Notice how much more weight Chris has on his back foot going into the turns.

ChrisandNate.JPG

Notice how much harder Andy Mapple pulls at 39.5 off than I do. No doubt he is much better than I am, but I would never be able to pull as hard as he does, but I still get through the course with much less strength.

BudAndysplit.JPG

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9812

I don't want to stray too far from my initial prompt, but do you think it's easier for a light skier to ski in the manner you describe as apposed to a big person. Say a 140-160 compared to 190+. I would imagine the ski sits in the water different between the two, possible necessitating different body position and skiing technique.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9813

• BudDavis
Good question.
I believe a heavy skier can use this same technique as well as a light skier. I believe the heavy skier would need more width in the ski to create more surface to support them. I do not think it is a good idea to lengthen a ski. Long skis might create some problems for short line.

See if this link answers your questions in the top of this thread. www.skiall6.com/forum/5-free-video-coach...andle-too-early#9801

www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9673-d...-drive-your-ski#9673

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9814

I can't get that 2nd link to work. In the first link you mention "twisting hip into the wake"...not sure which way it's twisting. Towards the boat or towards the shore?

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9815

There should be no twisting.

Trailing hip/hand (free hand) back to corresponding hip at the finish of the turn. Hold it. Repeat.

One of the biggest differences from lower level to high level skiers is the stance on the ski. Jodi Fisher coaches skiers to square their hips to the tip of the ski so they are perpendicular to the length of the ski as when you stand with 1 foot in front of the other, you will naturally be in a hips back position. Force the trailing hip forward over your front foot by standing tall with hips perpendicular + to the ski.

Do it from the moment you get pulled out of the water. Force it in your gate and gate Glide. When you complete the pass or miss a buoy, get into that hips forward tall stance again.

Personally I try to stand on the ball of my front foot, and fall away from the handle when I pull out to drop. Great time to practice the stance.

Make sense?

youtu.be/gzdk-E5f9S0

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9816

Interesting. I'll look forward to Bud's response. Regina is definitely not a disciple of Jody's teaching. When she stands on the ski it looks like she's standing on a wakeboard. Also, it seems he's describing "turn and burn" which has been frowned upon as old school. I think I'll take up wake surfing.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months, 1 week ago #9817

• BudDavis
I respect that there are different opinions and different styles of skiing.

But, for me, I like my hip to turn or twist into the cross course position. However, I like my chest to point more down course.

I see other people skiing like Jodi describes and they do well.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months ago #9818

• BudDavis
I should have also said: If I kept my hips perpendicular to the ski as Kyle and Jodi said, then I would not have to twist and turn them to get them perpendicular.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months ago #9819

I think you'll find nearly all high end skiers ski like this, and then some. It's all about getting into the proper alignment and leverage position to accept the boats load.

In a way this is a twisting motion because you have to "twist" or I'd prefer to say, push your trailing hip forward to get into the proper alignment. When you stand with 1 foot in front of the other, you are in a natural hips back position. There's needs to be someway you get the trailing hip up.

Keep in mind This coaching from Jodi and the video posted is aimed directly at the novice who skis Backfoot heavy. I doubt he would coach a pro like this because they already have great alignment and leverage position.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months ago #9820

• BudDavis
Yes I agree, push trailing hip forward gets it into a good position. But it is sometimes hard to picture push hip when it is read in a post. I use that term in person when I can show; stand tall on front foot, push handle down and push hip into the wake. In person, I can show how the side of a hip comes closer to the handle. Since I was typing, I said twist in hopes it could be pictured in the mind's eye.

Re: How to stop applying the brakes 2 months ago #9821

Thank you guys. It's really something I need to work on. With some tendon and other issues, I can't be fighting against the "brakes". I need to try to reduce the strain on my body. Dropping 20 lbs would help...as would correcting my technique.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Free business joomla templates