Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you ride or drive your ski?

Do you ride or drive your ski? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #9673

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Do you ride or drive your ski?

Skis now days are so well designed, they almost drive themselves and all we have to do is ride along. However, if we consider ourselves a joy stick (like are used to control robotics), we might achieve even more results.

The first thing we need to do is not move the stick in the rear 180°. We should only move the stick in the forward 180°.

Try this.
Stand in a doorway in a slalom ski position and put your:
• Front toes against the frame.
• Front knee against the frame.
• Belt buckle against the frame.
• Chest against the frame.

Try to stand tall and tighten your core, while keeping all these parts in contact with the door frame.
Push hands down by your sides.

Now, memorize this position and move away from the door frame and get in the position in front of a mirror (sideways.) Put your hands together as holding a handle and push them down to arm length. As you stand in this position say to yourself: Tall and proud, handle down, lock core. Practice this on dry land as often as you can to memorize this position.

This position should be like this joystick. Straight up on the ski.

Old-School-Joystick-Atari-C64-Decal.jpg

Whether you are approaching the course, moving out for the gate, gliding before the gate, or accelerating into the wake or approaching the buoy in the pre-turn, your goal should be to stay straight up on the ski. With our core locked, we tilt to the side while applying pressure to that side of our front foot. The ski tilts with us, which puts the ski edge in the water. (It is very important to push down on the handle.)

RJGlide.JPG

RJGateshot.JPG

Our body does not always do what our mind tells it, therefore, in order to tilt to the side of the ski; we have to try to tilt to the front corner of the ski. Let’s say the front of the ski is north. If we try to tilt ourselves (the joystick) northeast; we are still going to be a little southeast. But the more we work on it, the closer to east we should become.

One of the easiest ways to visually see if you are doing this; is to look at your videos, and see where the rope is, in relationship with your feet. As you can see, Regina’s rope is ahead of her feet. And the best POV for the camera is the pylon. If the video is taken off to the side of the pylon, it will hinder your visualization of the rope alignment.

Here is a DIY pylon camera mount. skiall6.com/helpful-tips/167-pvc-pylon-tracking-camera-mount

In this video the camera is on the pylon. Notice where the rope is compared to my foot when I am moving toward the wake. Keep in mind I am not as straight up on the ski as I need to be.

Re: Do you ride or drive your ski? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #9675

Bud,

Stood in the doorway and got in the slalom ski position. I definitely am going to need some extra lower and upper back exercises at the gym!

You talk a lot about "tilting" the ski to the side and add pressure to the front of the ski. This gets us on edge. Is this tilting action the equivalent to the "lean"??

I know a good stacked position sees about a 50/50 split of weight on your ski from front to back, but after over 50 years of probably a 30/70 overload on the back of the ski(you be the judge from my video), how long with intense discipline on my part will this take to even get close to 50/50?? How do I limit the OTF's if I really am diligent on tilting as much as I can toward the front of the ski?

Just a thought, and not that I would do it, but I could probably ski the course better at 15 off at 32MPH staying on top of the ski more with a better edge and glide outbound even if I broke at the waist a few times practicing during the pass.

I've got a rope hooked up to a support beam in my basement. How should I be practicing the slalom ski position and how long should I be holding it during a work-out?

Thanks.

Re: Do you ride or drive your ski? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #9676

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Yes sir, tilt and lean can be the same. I like thinking about tilting.

In my opinion, if a person tries to tilt correctly while holding an anchored rope, they will get pulled out of their position. That is why it works on the water. We want to be pulled in our intended direction. We do not want to pull against the boat. I will try to do a little dry land video soon.

If you can add some bungee to the attached rope, I would suggest standing vertical, keeping elbows straight, hinge arms down and up using shoulders as hinge point. Make sure to alternate the direction you face between repetitions. This should strengthen core, shoulders and arms. And probably other things as well.

Check out these if you have not already.

www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9542-h...-improve-your-skiing

www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9557-a...-improve-your-skiing

www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9564-p...-improve-your-skiing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heppie
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Free business joomla templates