Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where do you look while skiing?

Where do you look while skiing? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #9655

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Where do you look while skiing?

We have all probably heard to not look at the buoys as we go around them because it throws our body out of position. So, what do you, or should you look at when you are at the turn buoy. It seems I remember reading in an article about looking down course. I have heard people talk about looking at the next gate set and even the next turn ball. I have also heard people talk about looking at the pylon.

I used to try and look at a space ahead of (before) the next turn buoy and that seemed to help me. In doing so, I notice the boat is prior to that. In other words, if I am at #2 and look across ahead of #3, the boat is to the right of where I am looking. I would be looking ahead of the boat.

I recently started experimenting with looking more directly across course. While doing this, the boat was ahead of my line of sight. It felt good and I liked it. I am going to continue experimenting with it and see what happens.

Thy some of these and let us know what works for you. I would guess some of you will have to wait for warmer weather.

Re: Where do you look while skiing? 1 week, 6 days ago #9656

Bud, you brought up and interesting and important subject.

I would start by saying the one thing I never EVER look at, is the boat. There can be way to many distractions, from people or objects moving around.

My world starts by focusing on the green 55's. I pullout 2 feet before them, and cast out for a one handed gate. Kind of like a 2 ball turn. There focus shifts to the Right hand gate ball. After cast out at the Gates it shifts to 1 ball. 20 years a go,I learned from Wade Cox, that if I did not want to overturn at the ball, to look down course, and when making the turn, never look past the line of the rope till you hooked up with the handle. In other words, skied back to the handle.

What I found out with ZO, a bad habit I had when hooking up off the ball, was looking at the next ball.ie: 2 coming of 1 etc. This some what goes a long with what Bud is saying. Except for the Gates, I found I ski my best when I don't concentrate at looking at anything, but concentrate on what I am physically doing at the time. The buoys are not to be stared at, but put in my peripheral vision.

While Bud talked about looking cross course, I can relate to that. Especially since it prevents one from staring at the next buoy. While I don't actually focus on looking cross course, I focus more on getting my lead shoulder down and front knee bent more, building forward COM pressure. ie; Nate Smith style. My peripheral vision is cross course, since I am trying to BUILD pressure to centerline, so as to release ski pressure and NOT handle pressure at centerline, and gain swing speed. If my bad habit from the past causes me to look at the next buoy when coming off the last one, then on my offside pull, I tend to load and hold.... I want to "build pressure" to centerline, to get a more explosive transition.

Load and hold will not accomplish this and is my worse offside bad habit, and seems to be triggered by looking early at the next buoy. So Bud has a good point in focusing more cross course than at the next buoy, and these are my reasons why.

Re: Where do you look while skiing? 1 week, 6 days ago #9657

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Good info Ed. Thank you.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds
Free business joomla templates