Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Put handle here to improve your skiing.

Put handle here to improve your skiing. 5 months ago #9564

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
If you missed them, check these out also. www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9542-h...-improve-your-skiing and www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9557-a...-improve-your-skiing

Put handle here to improve your skiing.

The handle placement is more important than many realize. To some skiers, if the handle is in their hands, that is all that matters.

If your shoulders and arms are relaxed, your arms become and extension of the rope, and the boat is pulling you from your shoulders, which pulls your ski flat and down course.

As crazy as this may sound to some, we should be excreting a tremendous force in our shoulders and arms to PUSH THE HANDLE DOWN. If you have never done this before, you will feel it to be impossible. You might push it down for a few seconds, and then it will come right back up. You have to continually work on it to make any progress. Have the boat crew keep reminding you.

The reality is; if you push the handle down, the pull from the boat is lower in your body, and therefore it will be easier to be on edge, create cross course angle and get wide. Edge change will become easier, smoother and more effective. You will become more confident and comfortable.

So you may ask; when do I push the handle down. If you are skiing long line; then the whole time. If you are skiing short line; you lift your handle up and forward for a very short moment right when you are at the turn buoy. Otherwise, PUSH THE HANDLE DOWN.

Not to confuse the issue, but as you gain the strength to push the handle down, you will then start pushing it down and to the side to give you even more cross course and outbound direction.

Any question or comments?
The following user(s) said Thank You: AB, DW

Re: Put handle here to improve your skiing. 5 months ago #9565

• DW
Dryland practice. Use a tree, trailer hitch ball or your own weight bench as a prop.

Re: Put handle here to improve your skiing. 5 months ago #9566

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Excellent idea DW. I would like to add some stretch resistance, like bungees or springs, to your suggestion.

I would suggest standing vertical, keeping elbows straight, hinge arms down using shoulders as hinge point. Make sure to alternate the direction you face between repetitions. This should strengthen core, shoulders and arms. Probably other things as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DW

Re: Put handle here to improve your skiing. 3 months ago #9591

The major time to push the rope down is as you finish the turn before the full power of the boat hooks up again. It allows you to lean away farther since the rope is lower. It is Also important NOT to bend the arms and use the biceps. Extending the arms again allow you to lean away from the boat.

Muscle function states that if you can lift 60 #s, you can hold 100 #s, and lower 140#s under control. So push the handle down when the pull is less and the hold it there if you can.

Re: Put handle here to improve your skiing. 3 months ago #9592

AGREE with all the above, but would like to take it one step farther. This fully stacked position, with straight arms down and in the full lean, is the precursor to the hardest, most technical move in skiing, which is the REVERSE C.
To accomplish the Rev C, you have to keep your upper body in it's leaned stacked position and execute your edge change with just the lower body, so after you are on your outbound edge, you are still leaned away, taking advantage of the FULL SWING capability, coming from the boat. The one skier who does this best is Nate Smith. I have seen numerous pictures taken from the shore of Nate coming at you during the edge change, showing him in his lean away from the boat, with his lower body on the opposite edge, forming the Rev. C position. This really propels you up on the boat. With the new Zero Off Revision S coming out in July, doing this while using the super Plus addition, will really propel you. I will be watching for Nate to run 43.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AB, CraigAitken

Re: Put handle here to improve your skiing. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #9593

• AB
You always hear folks saying put the handle at your waist, but I like to think mid-thigh. If I have my handle there, with arms straight, that means I have rolled the ski up and in a leveraged position. Much easier said than done!

Re: Put handle here to improve your skiing. 4 weeks, 1 day ago #9617

You can get a feel for this on the gate pull out and it does make a difference in how you move up on the boat.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Free business joomla templates