Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How NOT to reach for the handle too early?

How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #9783

I posted a video a few years ago, struggling with -32off and have become much more consistent at this line length now, really focused on my gate, getting high on the boat and holding my elbows tight to my vest, I'm now running it most sets, but probably miss it 1/2 the time. I get a lot of good 1-2 and then either pull long to 3 or rush things and jump on the handle too soon.

I had some quality video from a good set I recently had (don't get much video). It's clear from the video and coaching I've had, that I am waiting for the buoys instead of trusting I'll get around them (which becomes glaring at -35off, where I get usually only get 0.5-3 buoys).

It looks like I'm reaching towards the boat instead of the buoy, creating slack, loosing rope tension/balance and also grabbing for the handle before the ski has finished the turn.

So my question is: If this is a big gap in my technique (I do believe it is) How do I initiate my turn earlier and not reach for the handle so quickly/abruptly?

different set/boat/lake -32 (4)

any insight would be much appreciated!

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #9792

That's some great skiing. Wish I could do that. What do you mean by "reaching toward the boat instead of the buoy"?

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #9793

It's a lot easier to explain when you're holding a loaded rope but..

Often I find I'll lose the line in my preturn, and instead of carrying the handle out wider, I reach towards the boat/pylon instead of riding it out to the buoy.

There's a Swedish kid naked Jacob bogne who appears to exemplify carrying the handle out wide. His reach is very much towards the buoy as he approaches it and turns it, or maybe a better term is to reach down course instead of cross course.

www.instagram.com/p/BzTFARpoy6b/?igshid=qpcy3kp6np4y

I've had some great coaching the last few weeks and seems clear a fundamental issue in my skiing is not skiing an early enough line. Not generating enough angle early enough and carrying enough of the load through my hips across centreline. Too fast, too late, a d I end up turning after I pass the buoy, often into slack instead of being fast and early. Also getting more speed and height on the boat in my gate helps my weaker 2-4.

I watch these vids and compare to better skiers,and clearly they are able to drive their ski further out in front of them past centreline and out to the buoy. Bud for sure skis like this. I believe this is because better skiers like bud are more efficient with their load and balance, can have an early edge change and end up backsliding the buoy.

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #9794

I think I know what you're saying. That is some amazing skiing...and I'm glad he wasn't naked. I knew what you meant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kylefraser

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #9796

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Do you have a lot of angle on your wing, or have more than just one wing?
It looks like a Radar Pro build. Is it? that should be a fast ski.

Your arms seem fine, but you could benefit from moving them more forward.

I would suggest to resist the urge to pull against the boat. Try to push the handle down instead of pulling on it. As you push it down, push your hip into the wake and create angle. when you do this, you should feel the pressure going down into your front foot. Now that you are twisting your hip into the wake, it should continue out bound creating width before the buoy.

You might be weighting your back foot too much also. I tell people to stand tall and proud on front foot, while pushing handle down.

Here is a 13m pass where you can see I also could benefit by moving my arms father forward.

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #9797

Bud it's an 18 pro build 67". Stock fin and wing, long and shallow setting, 9 deg. I tried a few different settings when I first got on it, but ended up back at stock long and shallow. May try a little more DFT and if that doesn't feel great, the factory short deep setting.

I hear you on weighting the front foot and pushing through the wake. When I think standing tall on my front foot I always have a better start to the pass.

Thanks!

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #9798

• BudDavis
The position you are in before you turn into the gates is awesome. You need to stay in that position throughout the entire course.

I did NOT say "pushing through the wake."

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 1 week ago #9799

Great video bud
Making it look easy, “going with the boat” is effectively what everyone talks about where they say “light on the line” - looks easy but takes a lot of work to keep connected and hold position.
From Kyles point of view what I see in his videos is:
1. Pulling too long (past second wake)
2. Getting disconnected (straight arms ) and pulled over towards the boat before the release (too fast at the bouy)
Can’t fix the connection issue without first sorting where the intensity of the pull should be.

What do you do to maintain the elbows to core off the second wake and prevent the ski from edging too much ? - because it works really well and effctively gives you a glide out to the bouy from mid wake.
Do you find that if you put too much effort in before the wakes it loses your connection out to the bouy?

Kevin

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 1 week ago #9800

Bud, I am not sure what you mean by "pushing your handle down, and pushing your hip into the wake to create angle". Can you explain more? Which hip? By that I mean, if you are left foot forward (like us) going to 1 ball? Which hip are you "pushing into the wake? and going to 2 ball , which hip? And elaborate a little more on "pushing" the handle down. I try not to "pull" on the rope, but attempt to get the handle lower by leaning more? Is this incorrect?

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 1 week ago #9801

• BudDavis
I try to keep it as basic as I can when I coach. It is difficult to think of one thing as I ski. So for me to think a several is impossible. I think pushing the handle down does a lot of things, including forcing your elbows to your body without thinking about it. It creates a low point for the boat to move you through the course on the edge of your ski. It creates a hinge point for an efficient edge change.

I want to tilt a little rather that lean a lot.

See if this link below answers the questions. If not, let me know.

www.skiall6.com/forum/6-tech-talk/9673-d...-drive-your-ski#9673
The following user(s) said Thank You: david38off

Re: How NOT to reach for the handle too early? 2 months, 1 week ago #9802

Great stuff, thanks Bud!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Free business joomla templates