Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet

Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9431

Hi, I'm new here. My first posting. I'm here to get some constructive feedback on my skiing and tips on how to take it to the next level - impressing myself

I'm turning 55, I'm 190cm tall and weight 98kg. I skied when I was younger but cannot remember the rope lengths or the speeds. Probably very slow with max rope length. I'm using the same ski as I did back in the 80s, an O'Brian racing ski, and the boat is a normal recreational boat with a 90hp Evinrude HO. Should be able to tow me at close to 30 knots.

I have never been coached. I'm more or less self taught. An old pro told me the basics back in the 80's and I took it from there. Something like this: skiing is pulling, braking and turning. Like a waltz rhythm. 1 2 3. Pull before the wake, get on the other edge, follow the boat, turn, pull etc. Here is the video. I much appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,

Tom

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9432

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
TDK,
It looks to me that you are far more advanced that many people I see skiing tournament and into short line.

You look fundamentally sound with most of your positions and moves. It looks to me that you are carrying your great snow skiing background into water skiing.

In reference to your off side turn: I would try to bend your front ankle and stack your knee over your front foot and your hips over your knee. See picture below where you are not doing this.

Try to straiten your arms and push the handle down throughout.

Ask your driver to attempt to drive in a straight path and not turn as you are cutting side to side.

Speed the boat up but stay within your comfort zone. You do not want to feel like you are sinking, nor feel like you are out of control.

You are looking great.

Keep posting videos as you progress.

I hope some others will chime in with pointers I might have missed.

TDKoffsideturn.PNG

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9434

Bud mentioned the 2 things I saw most was at the front knee was not pushed forward to bring the weight further up to balance out ski and you are doing the same thing I did when I started back to skiing 12 years ago. Back in our day. We were told to pull the rope to the hip and we did this by tremendous deltoid and bicep contractions. Now they say pushed the rope down with straight arms and leaned far enough away so that the rope is at your hip during your pulls.

The details on your ski boat is also important as your speed picks up your ski will tend to ski to balance out and tail ride less. The difference in how the ski rides between 30 mph, 32 mph, 34 mph does make a big difference. also, skiing binding outboard feels different than behind a full inboard or an inboard with zero off. So do understand. Hopefully, if you start back into tournament skiing that you will get to have some time to train behind one of the more dedicated boats.

So back to the good stuff, congratulations on skiing again. We deal with so many people who just give it up and say they're too old. I turned 61 last week and did well in a local tournament. So hopefully that is in your future as well. One other option you may want to do is go to ski-it-again.com or someplace like that and check for a new to you ski with lot of the new technology built-in and possibly even a larger size to give more support and more speed across course at the same amount of pull. I've gone to a mid-ride ski because it is less drag an easier on an old man. Good luck and hopefully see a lot of you in the future.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9435

Thank you so much for your feedback Bud and Chris. Also, lots of thanks for all the good words on my skiing both on and out of water.

I took the liberty of posting one more video of my skiing. This time compared to some random pro named Terry Winter. Not a fair comparison I know but maybe it will be of some help. Unfortunately its not of my offside turn so we will not see the ankle movement to get the knee over the foot but maybe other stuff will be highlighted. I think both of you are onto something important that has to do with my feet. Sorry, offcourse you are. To me it looks like Terry is quitting his pull at the first wake and flexes through the transition to get onto his new edge after crossing the second wave. With regards to the comment about hands down I think it has a lot to do with me not steering enough across the wake and maybe the boat going too slow. Maybe the ski is too narrow and doesn't give enough float. Stuff that Chris so kindly pointed out.

Boat driver is my 15y old son. First time driving a water skier. Since the boat is not a water skiing boat its hard to keep it going straight. I think that over time his driving will improve. The boat weights under 1000kg with engine and crew.

The ski is a O'Brian TRX from early 90s or late 80s. It has a tunnel and not a concave from edge to edge like a friend of mines Mastercraft which is also slightly shorter. He has a new ski and hopefully I will be able to try it later this summer.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9436

TDK, Welcome to this Web-Site, and welcome back to skiing. Glad to see your spending time skiing with your Son. Where are you skiing at, it looks beautiful. I'm pushing 70 yrs old and still Love skiing as much as ever. Keep up the good work....Ed Johnson

PS: Hope you get a chance to get on one of the new modern skis, you will be amazed.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9437

• BudDavis
TDK,
When looking at other skiers, take into consideration the length of their line.
Keep in mind at 15off/18.25m the pull is coming more from a down course direction.
When the line gets 28off/14.25m The pull starts coming more towards the centerline.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9438

Ed Johnson wrote:
TDK, Welcome to this Web-Site, and welcome back to skiing. Glad to see your spending time skiing with your Son. Where are you skiing at, it looks beautiful. I'm pushing 70 yrs old and still Love skiing as much as ever. Keep up the good work....Ed Johnson

PS: Hope you get a chance to get on one of the new modern skis, you will be amazed.

Thanks for the warm welcome Ed. Yes, the Son thing is what makes this particularly important. I will post videos of him as well in the future if everything works out like I planned it. I live in Finland. And yes, this place is beautiful in the summer. We are quite high up north even if I live in the southern most part so for skiing it could not be any better. Early in the morning or late at night its usually not windy with very limited boat traffic. In the summer I live here at this island and if I only have a driver I can ski whenever I want. Or the conditions allow. Closest SL track is at a lake 1,5 hours drive. At some point I will go there and have a go and see if I still manage to make a clean run. However, at the moment Im more interested in getting my technique sorted out. Good to hear that you ski at 70. That would be my whish as well.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9439

BudDavis wrote:
TDK,
When looking at other skiers, take into consideration the length of their line.
Keep in mind at 15off/18.25m the pull is coming more from a down course direction.
When the line gets 28off/14.25m The pull starts coming more towards the centerline.

I must go and measure the line. I know that its shorter than the full length. I think its the length you start with on a racing track. What length line do you recommend I ski with?

The ski thing interests me a lot. Im sort of a gear fanatic. But I could not really allow myself to spend a grand + on a new ski at the moment. Maybe one could be found second hand.... What ski do you recommend? The O'Brian I have at the moment was the best thing back then. Also, what kind of fin settings do you suggest?

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9440

I don't know how you did that overlay, but it was very interesting. One of the other issues which Bud mentioned about the pull being different as the line gets shorter. Leads to a completely different hook up and connection back to the boat. One of the reasons that some of the top skiers stop pulling so early, is because they are so stacked in their pull position that they can get so much speed so fast that they can stop earlier and getting the ski to slow down enough not to get slack line becomes a bigger issue. For us mere mortals that does not seem to be the biggest issue. Your lean coming out of your on side, turn back to the wake looked great, but you also notice the incredible age and angle that Terry got which sets him up to be one of the best in the entire world.

Here in the states we refer to line length as so many feet off of the standard 75 foot line. If you are in Finland you think like the rest of the world and just go with the so many meter line. If you're using a standard ski rope, you will most likely be playing with either the red or orange for now.

I am very much enjoying teaching my 14-year-old grandson how to ski. So far he still enjoys skiing on the pair more than slalom simply because he's more comfortable and he's got a great power pull position skiing on 2.

there are several very good skiers on this site, including Bud and Ed. They are much better than I am, but occasionally I'm able to give some perspective from just a different angle. Even explained their suggestion and mine do understand theirs is from better skiers, but my intentions will still be good. and Is always handy to have different perspectives

keep up the good skiing and enjoy
The following user(s) said Thank You: TDK

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 3 weeks ago #9441

• BudDavis
TDK,
Most people that I recommend a Vapor Lithium to like them. And I would recommend factory settings. With the exception of the wing. You may want to try wingless or 7 degrees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TDK

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9442

I don't know how to post a screen capture that is located on my HD.... anyway, correct me if Im wrong but when the advice is given not to push the butt and hips out towards the back and brake at the waist during the pull the more accurate advice would be to lean back away from where the boat is pulling you by leaning backwards with your upper body, chest up, shoulders back. The hips remain more or less in the same place all the time. Right?

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9443

I have been doing lots of overlay videos through out the years in other sports. I think its very powerful. Need to find a better match for the overlay. Someone skiing with the same kind of rope length and maybe out of the course.

But I think it gets the message through. Im not stacked properly. The pull is not transmitted optimally to the ski. I need to get my shoulders back, chest up and arms straight. I need to face the boat with the shoulders and not drop the inside shoulder. This must be the most basic element in water skiing. One of them.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9444

• BudDavis
TDK,

You said: "anyway, correct me if Im wrong but when the advice is given not to push the butt and hips out towards the back and brake at the waist during the pull the more accurate advice would be to lean back away from where the boat is pulling you by leaning backwards with your upper body, chest up, shoulders back. The hips remain more or less in the same place all the time. Right?"

it is easy for people to miss-communicate with words. I do not agree with how I am picturing what you are asking. However, I might be misunderstanding your point.

We might not want to "lean back away from where the boat is pulling you".

Here is a demo video of how I try not to lean against the boat.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9445

Bud that looks so smooth!!! Nice stacked pulls. Nice to see what it SHOULD look like.

Traveling at 50.16 feet per second. 5 feet per 0.1 of second boat speed. We are going even faster. Timing is everything. Need to work on mine. LOL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis, DVskier

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9446

Thanks for the reply. When looking at your skiing in that video it appears to me that you are not leaning so much away from the boat as I have been picturing in my head. In another thread you mentioned that its not leaning away from the boat but leaning towards where you want to go. You are slightly more leaning forwards than many others I have seen on YouTube. And your "pull" is super short. In the middle of the wake you are already standing straight upright.

Please comment on what you are doing at 1:09. Or every time you are passing the second wake and you are switching edge. You are sitting very far back with bended knees. Is this something that has to do with the short rope and that you need to be super quick in your transition or is that something we should be doing with a longer rope as well?

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9447

• BudDavis
I believe you are correct.
At the edge change, my knees come up to give the ski room to transition from inside the handle to out side the handle. Also, the shorter lines pull the skier more aggressively back to the centerline.

Here is a video I did to help Peter. He is at the top and I am at the bottom. Were are both skiing 26.7mph/43kph 15off/18.25m.

Disclaimer: I am not used to skiing that speed or line length, so my demonstration is not very good, but hopefully good enough to show some basic points. Also, my ski is not wide enough to support me at that speed. If someone plans to ski slower speeds, they should consider getting a ski wide enough for proper support.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 2 weeks ago #9450

Thanks Bud. Brilliant ide to coach like this. Lucky Peter. Here is what I see....

In both music and rowing its important to have a good sense of rhythm. The secret in rowing is a rhythm of 3/4. Waltz. You pull at 1 and then you rest 2 beats. Same as in water skiing.

1 Pull
2 Wake
3 Brake (pre-turn)

Watched the video many times and started counting the rhythm. Once I got 1 2 3 1 2 3 etc. going I shifted my glance to Peter only to find out he was badly out of rhythm. He was lagging a lot. You on the other hand, ticking as a clock. You are early with a high line and you pull forcefully and go from buoy to wake very quickly. Your pre turn is relaxed and controlled while Peter is late even if his pull looks great to me. His pre turn then becomes rushed. I don't know what the outcome of the video was but with better timing much could be accomplished.

I'm skiing at 15 off. Is that too little? Should I be practising free skiing with a shorter line? I try to have the boat going over 32 mph.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 1 week ago #9452

• BudDavis
This is second hand information because I do not free ski.

I have been told that free skiing is more effective with less rope. I would guess about 13m/32off, and start narrow and get wider as you get more comfortable. Adjust the rope longer or shorter to find what you like.

1) Try to never pull away from the centerline except on your initial pull out.
2) Try to never turn into slack.

Re: Please comment on my video - at 55y not done yet 4 months, 1 week ago #9453

Thanks Bud. I will try to shorten to 32off and see what happens.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds
Free business joomla templates