Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it my gate?

Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9134

hey guys, I finally got some video of recent skiing. The good news is this is a fairly typical set, the bad news is its a fairly typical set...

I can see I am not as high up on the boat as I think I am or I'd like.

any critique is welcome.

16m-55k: youtu.be/1RqEmTe_nGM
14m-55k: youtu.be/6t-Y0f8ZkkA
13m-55k: youtu.be/aKwIkBkLtn4?t=20s
14m-55k: youtu.be/vri7mKux4JI

Re: Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9135

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Kyle,
To start with, that is great skiing.
As for up on the boat, based on your camera man moving to the pylon to shoot, it seems like the rope location is good on the side of the boat. So width might be good.
I cannot see you well enough for me to talk about body position. Can you zoom in and post more videos?

I do not know if it is just the wide angle that is throwing off my perspective, but your ski seems to not want speed. Do you possibly have a lot of angle on your wing, or an over sized wing?

From what I think I can see of your body position, I feel you should be getting and carrying more speed. Could it be your ski is a slow ski?

Re: Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9136

Thanks Bud!

I will try to upload a closer video. Any suggestions on a program? I have windows movue maker.

Ski is a 14 green vapor 67" settings are close to factory recommended. Wing is at 8.5 std radar fin and wing

I'm on the heavier end of the weight range for the ski at 185lb but I've always liked a ski on the shorter vs lIngersoll end of the spectrum.

Re: Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9137

• BudDavis
Awesome Ski. Settings sound good. I like Windows Movie Maker.

I look forward to more videos zoomed in more.

In the mean time: Try to head for a wider and earlier target after the edge change. You want to turn before you reach the buoy.

Do NOT see the buoy as a target to head towards. The buoy should be viewed as where you come back into the buoy line.

Sort of like a basket ball free throw. Think of the path of the ball. It is a arch, up and back down through the loop.

We want to go out long before the buoy and come back in at the buoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kylefraser

Re: Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9144

Bud,
Thank you for explaining what the buoy should be viewed as.

If the buoy is where you should be coming in, at what point should you decide to extend?

Sorry for hijacking thread with a different question.

Myles

Re: Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9145

• BudDavis
Sort of when you need to.

Read this article for more detailed info.

www.skiall6.com/articles/bruce-butterfie...ck-is-handle-control

Re: Is it my gate? 1 year, 3 months ago #9146

No highjack myles! Love the dialogue, I think no matter how you're skiing or at what level most things people need to work on are similar.

For reach I try to think about slow out and slow in. Ski back to the handle with shoulders level and facing down course.

Skiing AT the buoy is something I have been known to do, so thanks Bud for pointing that out

I ran my -32 next set right up the rope; -22,-22,-28,-28,-32, 1@35 one of my better sets score wise this year. I had awful glare on my 2ND 4th 6th passes too and was a little sloppy

I do think part of my issue is my gate width but perhaps more important is how I pullout, glide and turn in, lean through the wake.

In watching the videos closer the handle is away from my body and higher than it needs to be in my glide. By pullibg out and gliding smoother it allowed me to keep the handle tight and low, which then allowed me to turn in more with my hips and more progressively. It also allowed me to edge change earlier and begin my turn earlier BEFORE the buoy.

I also did make a slight setting change I think helped. Bid you had mentioned the ski being slow and I think you're right. I went from 8m5 wing to 8, added 2 thou tip and pushed the fin fwd 3 thou. This helped get a bit more tip in the water offside and tightened the arc onside. The combination helped me transition better and ride an earlier line.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds
Free business joomla templates