Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My videos. Hoping to improve from here.

My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9075

Hi all. Long, long time skier here. Have skied a little in the course over the years, but not much, and not consistently. Mostly freeskiing behind an outboard. Am getting a new (to me) boat soon and hoping to re-boot my skiing a little, and start skiing the course more consistently as well. The new boat will be a Malibu RLx so will be a lot better. Here are my vids.

On the first vid, from last summer, I was on my current ski, a 68" 2008 D3 Nomad RC, behind my old boat at Redfish Lake in Idaho. You can see it was a bit windy, and I was fighting slack down wind a bit.

Redfish Lake, Idaho

The second vid was from a couple days ago on my brother's 67" D3 Nomad, circa I think 2005, behind my mom's boat at Hood Canal in puget sound on salt water. I had the day before ripped my front boot apart while skiing. It will have to be rebuilt. In both vids the speed was probably around 32 as those boats don't pull any faster. In the second vid, I was pretty tired, from having skied the last couple days.

Hood Canal, WA

In a few days I will have a Malibu Response LX and will be hoping to take it to the next level. Am looking at getting a Quest, probably a 67. But may wait on that and just keep skiing on my old 68" RCX if that ski will work for now. So, any advice you have will be appreciated. I can see myself that I need to be more patient and let the ski come around more before reaching for the handle. If I can do that, hopefully I can start to get a little more over the ski with better angle.

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9076

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
You look so much more comfortable on the first ski. I like what I see there. The second one looked like the lack of comfort on the ski was keeping you from doing what you know you need to do.

As for the first video/ski. I would try to build a little more angle into the first wake. Try to do this with just your front foot pressure and hip as you hook-up. Do NOT attempt this with upper body strength.

I think you are looking very good with your free skiing. I saw the little bit of slack after you took a lot of cuts across the wake. That is probably just from too many cuts in a row. You will not be cutting that many times in the course.

Great skiing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sunvalleylaw

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9077

BudDavis wrote:
You look so much more comfortable on the first ski. I like what I see there. The second one looked like the lack of comfort on the ski was keeping you from doing what you know you need to do.

As for the first video/ski. I would try to build a little more angle into the first wake. Try to do this with just your front foot pressure and hip as you hook-up. Do NOT attempt this with upper body strength.

I think you are looking very good with your free skiing. I saw the little bit of slack after you took a lot of cuts across the wake. That is probably just from too many cuts in a row. You will not be cutting that many times in the course.

Great skiing!

Thank you, Bud! I am heading to Wiley's this week so will see if they have stuff to rebuild my binding I ripped up so I will be back on my own ski (the one in the first vid) for a while. I studied a bit last night on the videos and articles linked here and will try to get a little more front ankle flex and weight on the ball of the front foot and rear too. I will also work on using my hips. I have not really tried much WRT initiating with and finishing with the hips and more or less have simply tried to keep my cheeks tight and hips up, not allowing bend at the waste before. Found a couple vids that addressed that and where you "stack" 90 to the ski rather than boat.

Those will be adjustments for sure. In hindsight, I did feel a bit more squirrelly on my brother's older D3 as compared to mine, so will stick there a bit before buying a new ski. The speed in both vids would have justified a 68 for me as neither boat pulls me truly at 34 as should be the case for me. With the new boat, things will change. But one thing at a time. Have to get the boat bought and hauled home first.

Thanks for the help!

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9078

Oh also, I hope to catch some of the last couple days of nationals as they are about 2.5 hours from my house. It would be fun to see others working on this stuff up close.

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9082

watching the videos demonstrate a couple basic things that so many of us do on a continuing basis. Bud and several of the other guys are much better than I will ever be. But I've watched enough of my own videos to spot certain commonalities that seem to appear on a regular basis. A couple things stand out from this perspective and for your evaluation of our thought processes. First, your skiing very narrow so that when you actually get on the course. It will make it more difficult to ski wide. If you use to not doing so. It also changes your timing and in all honesty, a lot of course ski is timing. You come around on your oddball buoys pretty darn good. You pull nicely across to the wake and then settle into your offside turn. If you hold your outbound angle for just a fraction of a second longer the ski will cast out better and end up coming around and turning better in a more stacked position which will give you a better and stronger pull from your offside turn. I trained with Christie Overton. Once because I was having trouble with making granny offside turns. She took it all the way back to have great hook on side turns which slingshot me into the wake and pulls me out of position so that I could not make a good offside turn due to a great onside turn. So ever since then I've been working on being better balanced between the 2 sides.

Overall it looks pretty darn good. But once you get more into the course, little things that cost you angle and speed add up fast. and fixing little things can up your score dramatically. Doing the things that I have suggested, has taken me from a couple buoys at 28 off to actually running all of them from time to time. This is from someone that just a few months ago did not know if you would ever ski again due to injuries. So I'm being pretty pleased at the moment.

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9086

BudDavis wrote:

Great skiing!

Thanks again Bud. Hey, two things. First, I will take my time with getting a ski. When I am skiing 34 consistently, I think a 67" will be appropriate, but I can just use the ski I looked more comfortable to you on at first. Then I am thinking a Quest would be likely. Second, I have some good ideas about getting more front foot pressure with flexing my front ankle and staying erect with my rear leg at that point in the turn so as not to rock back. But, a little confused about the hips. Can you touch on how to use the hips as you finish and hook up? I am a long, long time snow skier who knows how to move COM and hips to the new turn, but though there are similarities, the rope and handle vs. gravity makes it different. I think particularly on my strong side, have had a tendency to fall back on the ski near the finish of the turn to attempt to get the hips to the handle. I think I need to adjust that move. Please, if you have a minute, take a look at the vid to see if you agree, and then please let me know some good things to do with hips on a slalom ski. Thanks!

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9087

ChrisDugas wrote:
watching the videos demonstrate a couple basic things that so many of us do on a continuing basis. Bud and several of the other guys are much better than I will ever be. But I've watched enough of my own videos to spot certain commonalities that seem to appear on a regular basis. A couple things stand out from this perspective and for your evaluation of our thought processes. First, your skiing very narrow so that when you actually get on the course. It will make it more difficult to ski wide. If you use to not doing so. It also changes your timing and in all honesty, a lot of course ski is timing. You come around on your oddball buoys pretty darn good. You pull nicely across to the wake and then settle into your offside turn. If you hold your outbound angle for just a fraction of a second longer the ski will cast out better and end up coming around and turning better in a more stacked position which will give you a better and stronger pull from your offside turn. I trained with Christie Overton. Once because I was having trouble with making granny offside turns. She took it all the way back to have great hook on side turns which slingshot me into the wake and pulls me out of position so that I could not make a good offside turn due to a great onside turn. So ever since then I've been working on being better balanced between the 2 sides.

Overall it looks pretty darn good. But once you get more into the course, little things that cost you angle and speed add up fast. and fixing little things can up your score dramatically. Doing the things that I have suggested, has taken me from a couple buoys at 28 off to actually running all of them from time to time. This is from someone that just a few months ago did not know if you would ever ski again due to injuries. So I'm being pretty pleased at the moment.

Thanks for the input! I really think cleaning up the finish of my turn so I stack better with less load and more speed across the wakes is a key to all of it. good movement and patience and stack in the second half of the turn. Same as in snow skiing. But different too. WRT injuries, glad to hear you are doing well. After having a really good season in 2012 as far as getting back into things and attempting the course again, I blew my disc at L4/L5 and the subsequent season had an detached retina, so got slowed down. Things feel better now, but I have even more reasons to be efficient and reduce load rather than play tug of war old skool style in order to preserve the body while chasing these little buoys! Really glad to hear you are recovering well after wondering you were done. I had wondered the same thing.

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9088

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Here is a slow-mo video that should show what you are asking. I hope it helps.

Re: My videos. Hoping to improve from here. 1 year, 4 months ago #9089

BudDavis wrote:
Here is a slow-mo video that should show what you are asking. I hope it helps.

Thank you. That is a very good demo to watch.

I also found this article that has some good discussion about the hips and getting connected with the handle that seems helpful, so I will post the link here in case it could help someone.

Chris Rossi Power Triangle
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Free business joomla templates