Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"-

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 7 months ago #8883

Chris,

I'm not really sure what I am looking at here and where the skier is. RFF skier as I am?? Right hand on the top of the handle so may be a LFF?? Has he just finished the turn at 3 and going across to the wakes to 4 ball??

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 7 months ago #8884

Ed,

I will probably leave the bindings "as is" until I find out where I am and how I will "process" where to start on the water this year.

I have another question for everyone out there-

If I'm just "free skiing" on my lake, do I need a perfect pass on my 1999 MasterCraft SportStar or is it not necessary??

Thank you for your comments.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 7 months ago #8885

Actually, if you have a good Driver, who can appropriately add throttle as you load, to maintain your speed, I would say no. Perfect Pass is a thing of the past anyway, since Zero Off is SO dramatically different. It has taken me years to figure out how to make ZO work for me and not against me. Nate Smith is the absolute Master at Zero Off.

Back in 2009, I was skiing my very best ever behind Perfect Pass. I set our Lake Record here twice with 2 1/2 at 41.
I was ready to go to the Big Dawg Series that had started up. Well, being a Big Guy, 6'4" @ 230 lbs, I was able to pull the speed down on Perfect Pass and it would slowly make it back up. Well going to ZO, that was not the case. It made the speed up NOW, and pulled my socks off. I could barely run a 38 on a good day. Lighter Guys did not have the same problem, and seemed to do well with it. I had to ski with Andy Mapple and study Nate Smith a LOT to figure out how to use it. Anyway, that's a whole different thread here, so in answer to your question. For free skiing, just have a half way decent driver and don't worry about Perfect Pass. If you decide to go ski Tournaments, you will need to learn Zero Off anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heppie

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 7 months ago #8886

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
I would agree that hand throttle should be fine for free skiing. I would make sure I had an "old tournament type" of speedometer.

Some boats come with an inferior grade that is hard to read and not accurate.

Before speed control, we used to use the tachometer mostly but crossed checked with a good speedo. You could not rely on the speedo for two reasons. One was the lag and the other was it could go out at any time due to trash. It really became second nature to control the speed by listening to the sound of the engine and the feel of the skier and boat.

Not good

speedonotgood.PNG

Better

Speedogood.PNG

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 7 months ago #8893

YES!!!!! I could not have said it better. That is the be patient in the turn part that we don't do until we figure it out.I am learning to extend better in the reach and wait for the ski to come around.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 7 months ago #8894

Sorry I was responding to the question about the arms and the pull.

The need for perfect pass depends on several things.
1. Is it work the money for star gazer with a zero off box to you.
2. Do you have a GOOD driver.Without perfect pass there is NO way my wonderful lady could ever drive well enough to be even close to the right speed much less compensate for your pull close to the feel of either system. Without the pull of the "cruise control" you most likely pull you out the front the first few time it happens.
3. I like perfect pass better than ZO too, but the tournments use Z O. I bought a ZO box and up graded to Star gazer last year. For open water. I have a Insta-Slalom but after she was hitting the balls with the prop, I figured out that we were not exactly in the center of the course. LOL.

So part of the big questions are 1. how good is your driver and 2.do have extra cash to "play with". I am not as good as the good guys in help and do not have the backup of great drivers. For me it IS required to make any more headway.But again it is a personal decision. Based on need and options.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 5 months ago #9028

How much for the video analysis if you don't mind me asking?

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 5 months ago #9030

That is the basic idea. Practice in open water and fine tune it and see if it works for you. Helps keep the ski turning and going straight into your stacked pull position. The point is to stay counter rotated instead of reaching out with your release hand. The straighter and lower the rope at the time of hook up the better.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 5 months ago #9035

"Squeeze the Cheeks. Squeeze the Butt Checks??"

I've heard this mentioned so many times but no one has actually told me "when" to do it, and "when not too:) I tend to keep my knees together all of the time.

So, do you squeeze:

1. During the pre-turn.
2. During the turn.
3. During the pull through both wakes.
4. During the coast/glide

*Just looking for clarification on this and how it helps your overall skiing through the course*

**Just "tweaked" a lower back muscle in the pull-up on Tuesday. Skied on Wednesday with an uneventful pull-up and good free skiing, but still "feeling the pain" in the lower back today. A friend suggested I get a "back/brace wrap(velcro) to help me out with my skiing. Any Thoughts?? Thanks**

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 5 months ago #9036

Seth Stisher did a nice video analysis of me for $125.00 He broke my video's down and inserted some Terry Winter video's(because he is also a RFF skier) for the "correct way" to improve on my skiing. Seth concentrated mainly on "the turn" in my case and the fact that "I" was turning the ski prematurely and heading for the buoy's instead of "waiting for the boat to catch up to me" and get more angle before the transition. I think the video was well worth the money.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 5 months ago #9037

• BudDavis
I think standing tall straight up on the ski and locking core is a good focus.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 5 months ago #9042

Hep,

The squeeze the cheek is meant to have you keep your hips pushed forward and not "butt dragging". which was one of my big problems for about the first 4 or 5 years. I got back into ski. I have fairly strong and pulled as hard as I could go but never really accelerated until I locked the hips in place more forward, which kept me balanced on the ski better and allow the ski to accelerate with far less effort. People also mention keep the knees soft and bent. But this only helps if you push the hips forward. Otherwise just drops your butt drops down and back and you can't accelerate for squat. Another way I once heard was push your hips forward locked them there and throw away the key. Again, knowing what they're actually trying to accomplish is the key. The idea is to get you stack in your weight centered on the ski. If your hips are not forward enough then you cannot be stack. I have old knees which do not allow me to basically ski in a hack squat position. So I have to figure out other ways to get there and will ultimately be limited on how far I can go. I've only been skiing briefly this year but concentrating on form has taken me back up to middle upper 28 off, which for me is actually pretty decent. I am hoping to get into and possibly even through 32 off with my new modifications, but only time will tell. I'm just happy to be able to be skiing again, which was not a certainty just a month ago. went out last night and played in the water with 28 and 32 and it felt absolutely awesome nice with feeling and stretch around where the ball should be. I assume I would was not wide enough, but it sure was fun doing.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 4 months ago #9058

Am marking this page as I have been contemplating getting more into the course in the remainder of the summer, and in coming years. I have been a free skier for over 40 years primarily, going into the course sometimes for fun. Often, as a youth, in salt water in Puget Sound, where the tide would sometimes bend the course, so not too seriously. So, marking this thread for me to review later as there is time. Thanks!

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 4 months ago #9109

Happy days. Changed my training to more fun. Starting at 22 off 32mph, but instead of moving up in speed, I have been shorting the line. 28 off's are easy, but tryed 32 off and could not get past 2 balls. Moved the binding forward a notch and ran my first full 32 off pass ever this evening. Moved to 35 for larks.... 1 ball only. A little different animal. LOL. Went back to 32 off to practice, but a happy camper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gsm-peter

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 4 months ago #9110

• BudDavis
Congrats!
I am very happy to know you are healing and able to ski. And here you go, not just skiing but skiing awesomely.

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 4 months ago #9111

The 2 things that I'm looking at, at the moment are:

1. Moving the boots progressively further forward to get more on the front of the ski since this particular ski seems to tail ride more that I've used. I had missed measured the placement of the front boot by measuring to the wrong spot on the back of the rubber binding. This led me to having the boot almost half an inch too far backwards. We went back to the proper placement and skied better. Then went forward another quarter of each this week and did even better. Will most likely try another quarter inch shortly which I assume will be too much but won't know until I try it. had a friend who gets a couple buoys at 38 off said you move the boots forward until you start breaking at the waist or stalling. As you around the corner. I haven't tried that method before. Worth a try.

2. Adding a little bit more wing angle. The ski is set to factory 8°. Since I have a pretty strong pull and my problem is slowing down on the other side the extra degree or 2 may be of benefit. He was slow the ski in the pre-turn and pulled the front further down into the water to help me use the whole ski for the turn. I ski 32 miles an hour, nice and easily, but 34 does not slow down as well so I'm thinking that this may be of benefit. It also has potential of screwing up my acceleration out of the turn and have me leading the ski leading to some pretty bad out the fronts into the wake type falls. So I'm a little leery of this particular correction.

Any ideas about these 2 options. If I can move into a mid-32 to 35 off range that would catapult me way up the rankings of men 6. So I am very excited about the potential of improvement

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 4 months ago #9112

That level of improvement would raise me from a lower level 6 skier to a level 7 skier!!!!Running my 32 off pass would put me at 77th in the nation. 1 at 35 puts me at 71st. Will never run with the " Big Boys" but it is nice getting closer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: "50 years of Free Skiing to the Course"- 1 year, 4 months ago #9113

• BudDavis
We are top level skiers when we enjoy the buoys we get, not by how many buoys we get.

You are #1 in my book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Free business joomla templates