Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I want you guys to give me some advice.

I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8289

Hello guys. I am Sung from Korea.

I love waterski. I have been skiing for 10 years.

But In Korea I can't easily get good advice to get better skiing. So I want to ask some advice from you.

I know that there are many good skiers and coaches in USA. But I couldn't make chance to go to USA.

From the very Basic, I would thank you for any advice. Please make me better skier.

What could make me better skier? What's the first issue of my skiing?

I think I have very bad turn finish at offside turn.

Here is my video.

youtu.be/cldZhn-3n5g

[video]https://youtu.be/cldZhn-3n5g[/video]

[video]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cldZhn-3n5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8291

• AB
Hello Sung, great skiing!

Lots of good things going on in your video. Consistency is the key.

As your pulls through the wake went, so went your passes. For the most part you look like you let the boat pull you up occasionally through the wakes, and this is a killer to advancing. To help keep consistent wake crossings, your arms should be straight and elbows should feel like they are attached to the sides of your vest and the handle should be glued to your hip, and your belly button should be leading the way (hips up). Your chest needs to be up, particularly on the offside, going to 135 side, so focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together. Hold that position until you hit the second wake.

A good drill is to run 28 off and 32 off at very slow speeds as you will need to pull through both wakes and then let the ski run out away from the handle to make it around the buoys. See the slowing the boat down thread.

Nice job though. Feel good about what you are getting done!

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8292

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Good advice AB.

Cool,
I see so much stuff you are doing right. Great skiing.

I do see a few things that might illustrate some of what AB is saying.

Look how great you are transferring the load to your ski during your pull out.
cpc1.PNG

When you come out of #1, you are fighting the load with your upper body. You need to look just like you did above on your pull out.
cpc4.PNG

Look how great your glide is. Try to feel tall like this into all the buoys. You cannot do it, BUT you can try to FEEL tall like this.
cpc2.PNG

Look how great your gate shot is in the top picture. You should look this good out 2 and 4. Compare everything: spray, rope, knees, ski angle, etc... Additionally, I would think you could also benefit from not resisting the boat as much on your off side pull.
cpcgateandoutof2.PNG

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8293

• AB
Thanks Bud, right on with the good points, just not doing it consistently.

I don't like to "squat" when going toward the wakes like some guys do, but the point is to lock in the handle with arms straight and lean away (not forward or back). Keeping the handle in to your waist until you can swing the ski out onto a wider path than the handle and ski away out to the ball and back to the handle. Watch top skier videos and see how they push the ski out in front of them after the wakes and get it on a much wider path than the handle. That is a real key to shorter line skiing as well.

Keep up the good work!

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8294

Thank you so much! AB, BudDavis.

I have to think a lot. I feel that I get a lot of school assignments.

And now I got big question. Maybe cause of errors.

AB said "squat". Maybe I always do "squat".

The early year of my skiing. My old coach said that the harder my turn finish the faster my pull speed is.

So I always try to move mass harder inside the buoy(kind of big turn) and do the spuat. Many time after the turn finish, boat hook me up.

Recently I am curious about that idea(the hardest turn finish is better).

I think that the idea worked behind Perfect Pass. And behind ZERO-OFF I got many fall.

Do you think that idea is right? Or there is proper mass movement.

Do I have to control the intense of my mass movement?

I am really curious about the intense of turn finish. How hard is good at the finish of turn?

I think you guys know the answer. I really hope to know that. Thank you guys. Thank you so much.^^

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8295

I used to be a big turn kind of guy. With hand driven and the old PP you could get away with turning hard and taking a big hit. I think part of the misconception is that we equate acceleration to speed. On the old big turn style we would basically stop the ski and then fire off like a cannon to get back to boat speed. It gave the illusion that we were coming out of the ball faster. With ZO we want to maintain our speed as much as possible through the turn. This video from Terry winter might help explain a good turn better than I can.
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8296

Attachment SkiingtheImpossibleLine.pdf not found

I hope this pdf works. This is an article by Chris rossi and he talks about skiing the impossible line.skiall6.com/articles/chris-rossi/64-the-impossible-line
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8297

• AB
You can freeze TWinter in his wake crossings, as I think he is more of a compressed skier style vs. a Jeff Rodgers, but his handle is pinned to his hip and chest is up and leaning away from the boat. This may be your style, so embrace it, but work to achieve the position that TW gets.

Also, note how his ski shoots out in front of him after the second wake, this is that upper level move that is needed to get down the line.

Thank you guys. 2 years, 4 months ago #8309

Today. I tried to find proper level of turn finish. And I easily found it.

I also tried to focus on squeezing my shoulder blades at the moment when boat start to pulling me and stuck with that posture.(I haven't focused on it before.)

I traveled on the way where I had never traveled on. I passed my best 28off today. Feeling like slow and light.

Now I got confidence on my skiing. I feel like to get my PB soon.

Squeezing shoulder blades sounds like a kind of basic skill. But Nobody told me it before(really).

I'm going to post my video soon.

Thank you Bud, AB, TravisTorley.

Now I think the theory "the harder my turn finish is, the faster my pull speed is." is wrong.

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8311

• AB
Awesome!

Where are you skiing Coolpixcool?

AB

Re: I want you guys to give me some advice. 2 years, 4 months ago #8326

• LEE
  • So, your sayin' there's a chance!
Very Nice Job!

The main priority (at this point) that I see is your Gate set up and execution. In watching through the clip, there is quite a bit of inconsistency in your Pull out Glide, and Turn In from pass to pass. Which will inevitably lead to inconsistencies through each succeeding pass.

Your timing and Body position is where I see the need to focus at this point. Some passes you are possibly tired or fatigued and wgt'ing the rear foot heavily before your Turn in. Consequently, the rest of the pass will typically follow suit. Other passes i.e. 1:09, you are wonderfully balanced, standing Tall and proud, with good timing and this too is also evident in the rest of that pass.

Your Pull out, Glide, Turn in, Timing and Balance were excellent on the 1:09 Pass and following is a very smooth and controlled pass. I'd strive to perfect this 1:09 execution on all of my passes and many other issues will naturally work themselves out on their own!

Again, Nice job!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Free business joomla templates