Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Screws in bone And Recovery

Screws in bone And Recovery 9 months, 3 weeks ago #9766

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
I briefly mentioned in a different post that I would be out of skiing while healing.
Here is an x-ray after surgery showing two screws used to put bone back together and the thing that looks like a zipper are the staples used to put skin back together.

FootX-ray.jpg

Re: Screws in bone 9 months, 2 weeks ago #9774

wow, that is tough. I have had multiple surgeries and breaks over the years. I cringe. so sorry. rehab begins again.

btw, i'm trying the new 2020 vapor. maybe i can make it go?
Coach3

8 months, 1 week ago #9803

Bud, How is your healing going?
Coach3

Re: 8 months, 1 week ago #9804

• BudDavis
The bone is healed but there is a lot of other trauma that will take time.
Life is good and I am blessed and happy.

Re: 8 months, 1 week ago #9805

After multiple injuries and other leading to more surgeries, your attitude makes it heal better, or at least better while it's healing!

I am going to try your NE lean and handle down. I realize I'm riding around with the brakes on, so a bit daunted but here goes. Any advice on how to start? I'm only a mid 35 off skier when all is good, but 22 rooster seems intimidating trying this. I suppose 28 off and just see if I make a buoy?
Coach3

Re: 6 months, 2 weeks ago #9846

• BudDavis
As I continued walking, my knees kept hurting. We first thought I might have been walking funny to protect injured foot. We finally got MRIs on knees. I had torn meniscus in each knee. I had the right one repaired less than two weeks ago and getting ready to do left one in a few days.

I have my sights set on skiing January 1st if all goes well.

Re: 3 months, 1 week ago #9871

• BudDavis
Update:
It has been seven months and the broken bone has healed, BUT the bone marrow edema is holding me back. I have done a lot of PT and I have skied. I have rested completely and I have ski some more.

The trauma in my ankle and foot were far worse than the simple broken end of my tibia. I got a steroid shot in my ankle today and Doc put me back in the cast/boot for two weeks.

Re: 2 months, 3 weeks ago #9879

• BudDavis
During the last two weeks after the injection, I did not put any weight on my foot and basically did not move it. NO PT at all.

When I stood on it for the first time, it felt like I was standing on a pile of broken glass. I walked around and did a little PT and it started feeling fine. While I was taking a nap in the recliner yesterday, I dreamed I fell and kicked. The pain from before came right back. Oh well, I gave it a good shot. (In more ways than one.)

I skied today and had a great time Pain is still there along with numbness, but it was fun. I hope to keep it up.

Re: 2 months, 1 week ago #9900

• BudDavis
It has been eight months since the injury. There is still pain and numbness. Today, 3/25/2020, I started to increase boat speed a little for the first time. At 28 off, the first three passes were 33 mph. The next three were 33.6 mph. I hope to ski again tomorrow and bump up some more.

Re: 2 months, 1 week ago #9908

• BudDavis
I did ski a set yesterday. 28 off and one 33 mph, 2 - 33,6 mph and one 34,2 mph.

I just skied today and went off the dock with 28 off/34,2 mph and skied 6 passes.

I am not totally comfortable at that speed, but I think it feels fast because I have been skiing slower. I plan to stick with it and get used to it, so it feels can start to normal.

Re: 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9920

• BudDavis
I was not getting used to the 34 mph, so I dropped back down to 33 for a while.

I have been upping it to 33.6 for a number of sets and finally back to 34. And it is starting to feel normal

I dropped back down to 33.6 and cut to 32off for the first time. I ran four pass there and quit. Each pass felt better than the one before.

My ankle does not hurt as much right now and my foot is not as numb right now.

For quite a while, it just felt like I was struggling on the water. I now actually feel like I am progressing my form on the water.

I will be candid; I am skiing fearfully. It has been a tough period of time not being on the water and I would never want to go through this long of a break again. It was scary cutting to 32, and I am sure it will be even more scary with shorter lines.

Re: 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9921

• BudDavis
Last two passes in set today were at 32off 34.2mph.

Re: 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9922

• BudDavis
Today is April 18th. I just skied a set and cut to 35off and dropped the speed to 33mph. I ran it and kept bumping the speed up until I ran 34.2mph. This was the first time cutting to 35 since getting back on the water.

Re: 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9929

Glad to hear you are progressing! Returning from injury is almost as much mental recovery as physical. Keep at it--slow and steady progress wins the race!
Chad Rauls
Charleston, SC
67in HO CDX Animal Bindings (...maybe 67in Radar Senate Pro in future)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis

Re: 1 month, 1 week ago #9933

• RL
Hard to be patient sometimes but it looks like you are taking the right approach. I'm actually doing that more with my skiing this year.

Re: 1 week, 3 days ago #9937

• BudDavis
May 26, 2020.

Basically, foot only hurts from non-use. (Like getting out of bed.) No real significant pain skiing. Part of foot still numb, but getting better.

I typically start off dock at 34.2 mph, 28off, then 32off, then 35off. I have three between loops before 38off, and I am playing some on the second loop running the pass, but needs work to smooth it out. I usually run 35off, but I do miss it some, but usually run it even with bad mistakes. Most of my sets have a lot of 32offs in them after one or two 35s.

I do feel like I am moving in a positive direction. I am definitely having a lot of fun. I have some tournaments coming up that I am working, so I will ski in them as well. I am not looking for certain scores, but just having fun and getting more time on water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Johnson
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Free business joomla templates