Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount

Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 1 year ago #9501

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Click here to see all the pictures.

Here is a design for a PVC Pylon tracking camera mount that works better than any I have ever used. Slade Cole came to ski with me and brought one that he built for his tablet, and extra types of cameras. His worked very well.

I wanted to condense his design somewhat and present to everyone, so they could easily put one together for themselves with parts and pieces cheaply accessible.

This device can be used with plain ski rope attached to the pylon. The device will need to be lifted two inches while changing rope. However, I like to use a switch section with a piece of shock tube and carabiner. Two big advantages of this are: 1) It makes the loop you are skiing visible to the camera. And 2) More easily change line lengths. I remove the 41 off loop from my ropes to compensate. The 41 off loop can be attached to the start of the rope and used as a cinch when transporting the coiled rope.

I drilled the two holes with a hole saw, that turned out to be a little bit too small. It works fine for me, since I use the switch rope. This holes can easily be cut out with a regular saw if you do not have access to a hold saw. You basically need room for your fingers while leaving some support on the two sides.

Mounting the camera can be done with various types of mounts in the holes in the snap-in drain. The choices on Ebay are almost infinite. Start searching for GoPro type mounts, and you will be led to many.

Most plumbers and electricians throw away short pieces of PVC pipe. White drain pipe and gray electric conduit work equally well.

Materials needed:
• About 20 inch piece of 3 inch PVC pipe.
• 3 inch Snap-in drain.
• 10 inch bolt and nuts (or threaded rod). This could be covered with vinyl tube to smooth it up.
• 6 in corner brace. (I used a locking slide from a garage door.)
• 6 nylon 1/4 inch thumb screws. (Grainger sells 10 pack for $2.58.)
• 3 inch piece of foam pipe insulation.
• 1 foot of bungee cord.

01.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Birch

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 1 year ago #9502

I always like your neat and innovative designs and suggestions. Thanks so much for all the extra time and energy use to help the rest of us. Wishing you and yours. The very best Christmas possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis, Dan Birch

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 11 months, 1 week ago #9507

• DW
Nice work. I made a similar camera mount, works really well for me and is very simple. The cap is left to be slip fit for easy camera changes. Padding takes out the vibration.

IMG_20140709_150422_010.jpg

IMG_20140709_150448_977.jpg

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 11 months, 1 week ago #9508

• BudDavis
I like when things can be done simple. That looks good.
Can you post some video that was taken with the Kodak Playsport and that tracking device please?
Thank you for sharing that design.

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 11 months ago #9509

• DW
Sure, when I get a chance although I do have to scrounge around to find something & I am out of town for a couple of weeks (video may be on a stick at home).

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 9 months ago #9531

• DW
Bud, I tried to insert a mov file, 344 MB and it did not go through. Is that too large a file size? Better way to attach? Thx.

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 9 months ago #9532

• BudDavis
Yes sir. Best way it to upload to YouTube.
Thank you for your efforts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DW

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 9 months ago #9540

• DW
You Tube video on the camera mount, Kodak Playsport camera w/ some zoom, no special settings as this was simply an early test run to see if things worked. I am not a dedicated camera user, so it was all crude and simple.

Re: Simple design for a Tracking Pylon Camera Mount 9 months ago #9541

• BudDavis
As they say: the proof is in the pudding.

In looking at your videos, I think your camera mount works great.

When you factor in the simplicity of the design, and cost of materials, you have hit a home run.

Thank you for sharing that with all of us DW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RickR90s
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Free business joomla templates