Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not skiing enough to be comfortable.

Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 4 years ago #8604

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Things have changed some lately that have taken front seat over skiing. Nothing bad, just different.

I have just been able to get on the water here and there. This is what I have learned from it. I do not stay comfortable on the water if I do not ski often.

The reason I bring this up is; if you only ski here and there and feel like you may not be improving as much as you think you should, that could very well be the reason.

You may know someone that does not ski much but still skis very well, but that is probably not the norm. Sometimes people are just natural at some things. For instance, Jeff Rodgers told me the other week that he typically goes three weeks in between sets and typically gets mid 41off/10.25m right away. Jeff also ran 28off/14.25m when he was introduced to the slalom course right away. I think I would consider him a natural.

I have a question for you guys. During your ski season, how many days a week do you normally ski, with how many days between skiing?

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 4 years ago #8605

I ski Wednesdays through Sundays. Take monday and Tuesday off most weeks. That May to Labor day. Anytime before or after is random nice days and weekends.
The most important thing is to have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BudDavis

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 4 years ago #8606

During our 5-6 month season, I ski about 3 days a week and do 2 sets per day. I know that the lower frequency is holding me back and I typically do not see gains until August. The really sad part is that I have only been able to achieve my current frequency over the last 2 years. Before that, it was less.
Goode XT - 65.25" with Wiley double high wraps
2009 Malibu Response LX with Zero Off Rev R - Setting C2

Ranked in the top 50 for US Open Men's slalom

My skiing is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 4 years ago #8607

This year I tried something a little different. In previous years, I skied every day that I could, and that usually ended up being 5-6 days a week, and trained in the gym 3-4 days during the ski season. This year, I trained in the gym 6-7 days a week, and only skied 3 days a week (occasionally 4). The result was that I was much stronger in the gym, and much more comfortable on the water. By far, I had my best season on the water yet. I basically stopped skiing in late September, with the occasional set here or there.

So....I think next year I will follow the same routine. I am training hard in the gym daily (sometimes twice), and actually looking to gain a little size and strength. I will probably start riding my ski a little in March or so....unless I end up in Florida. I find that I don't benefit much from skiing cold. Next year, I will likely limit my skiing to 2-3 days a week.
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 4 years ago #8608

• AB
When I was chasing ratings and tournaments, I skied at least 3-4 times a week.
Now, I probably ski twice on a good week but may miss an entire week or ski just once. Improvement is slow.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 12 months ago #8612

Summer schedule is Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat..... Winter schedule is Mon, Thurs, Sat. Biggest problem right now is Cold Fronts coming through and giving us strong North winds for days...Also lack of ski partner availability.

Agree with the fact that to progress, I need a steady schedule.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 12 months ago #8613

• AB
I also believe you need some time off to allow the body to heal.
Running up the rope everyday with multiple shots at ultra short line just breaks you down, and prevents you from reaching your full-charge potential.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MISkier

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8651

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
Wow! I just skied for the fourth day in a row. Before that, I think I missed a couple of weeks straight.
It is amazing what a difference it makes to ski some consecutive days. I love skiing but the difference of pleasure from here and there, to some consecutive days it measurable.

I you are trying to improve, but are not, and only skiing once or twice a week, you might want to figure out a way to add more day of skiing to your week. It makes a world of difference to me, and I would guess it would make a big difference to you as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8652

I ski as often as I can. On average about 5 days per week (3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off) but normally only 1 set per day. I also try to ski at least once per week in winter. If I stopped for more than 2 or 3 weeks I'd have trouble cranking the ole bod back into life.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8653

You guys are making me sad all this talk of getting to ski... I threw on the chest waders and broke ice from around my dock....

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8654

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
Where do all of you ski?

I ski in the center of South Carolina.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8657

I looked back, and I actually skied less in 2015 than in 2011, '12,or '13 ('14 was injured). In previous years, I backed off of my training in the gym and skied 5-6 days a week. This past year, I maintained the same gym schedule that I had in the winter, and only skied 2-3 days a week. I felt like my body may not be able to handle all of it. Turns out that I had my best year ever on the water by far, and was able to train with the same intensity or more in the gym. My plan this year is to follow that again....2, maybe 3 days on the water, and 6 or 7 in the gym.

I'm ready for warm weather....I find very little benefit in skiing cold....
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8658

Finally back on the water!!!!! Pulled a muscle in the groin at the end of last summer. Could not use the leg to get out of the water with out severe pain and more damage. So have not been out since. Finally got to see if it had healed. Got up today with NO pain. Still being careful and hopefully it is no longer an issue.

Thought about using a duel loop strap at the knees to keep the rear leg from being pulled behind me when I get out of the water. Avoiding pulling on the exact muscles involved. I know a couple of "older skier" with hip problems and one put an inner tube around his knees to keep his knees from going bow legged. but this could also fix my problem as well.

Any other Ideas???

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8661

I'm lucky enough to live at a private ski lake complex so not a lot of effort required to ski at any time. Weather permitting.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8662

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
TryHard, is it in Florida?

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8664

Screenshot_2016-02-04-07-36-37.png

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 10 months ago #8666

Long way from there. Not far from where Aaron Larkin originates from. Although, funny enough it was in Florida where I first met Aaron.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8752

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
What a difference being on the water several times a week makes.

I feel comfortable now instead of learning fresh each time.

35s are feeling good so I cut to 38 one time yesterday but missed it.

Our water is in the 70's and we have reached air of 90's a couple of times. But for the most. we have air temps in the 80's daily. They are calling for a cool down next week though.

How about you people?

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8754

Bud,
Let us know what you think of the T3 vs the 2016 Vapor, and how they compare. Two ski's I am greatly interested in trying myself. THX

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8755

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
Sure thing Ed.

Right now I am not comfortable, so I have not ridden the 2016 Vapor yet.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8756

Ordered a new cable slalom course to replace the old Poly rope portable we were using. Will install April 1 and start skiing then. Temp has been warm but we keep getting cold fronts dropping to single digits at night. Can't keep the boat inside at the lake so has to be staying in the 20's before I feel good about leaving just the block heater on it.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8759

Finally got clearance from my doctor to give it a shot, so took my first set of the year on Friday. I took it easy, but it felt really good to be back on the water. 28, 28, 32, 32, 4@35 and to the dock. I'll take that to start...
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8760

Took my first two sets last Sunday and Monday. Only free skiing as the course isn't in yet. Got 14 inches of snow today so doubt I will be back at it in the next 2 weeks

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8761

Tomorrow I plan to take my second set of the season...It's been almost 4 weeks since I've been able to do any sort of training, so am a little concerned about my strength....but it will feel good to be on the water!
www.mappleskis.com
Mapple T2

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8776

First sets through a course today. Took three sets. Went 18 of 18 at 28 off. I think the 16 Vapor is a keeper.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8779

I could ski every day if its only -28, if I'm skiing into -38 then I need to add in recovery time.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8780

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
I would agree with that Craig.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8781

Well it was the first sets since October and water was 44 degrees. I ski at 36 mph too. Trying this year to focus more technique and less chasing bouys. Won't cut the rope for awhile yet. Feels good to be back on the water though.

Re: Not skiing enough to be comfortable. 3 years, 8 months ago #8782

• BudDavis
  • NOW ONLINE
Sounds like the right approach Travis.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds
Free business joomla templates