Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Masters Live stream video link.

The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9402

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Starting this weekend, May 26th - 28th 2017. masterswaterski.com/video/

Schedule: masterswaterski.com/schedule/
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9405

• BudDavis
Prelim standings
Top four moving into finals.

2017MPrelim.PNG

Re: The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9406

• BudDavis
Final

Mfinal.PNG

Re: The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9407

Amazing skiing. Very competitive men's and women's slalom. Esp the men's with all 4 running 39off in the finals and having to runoff for both 1-2 and 3-4 places!! However, it did bring up an interesting point to me. I just wondered if anyone else was thinking it or if "they" might ever consider a rule change as far as runoff's? It seems extremely hard if not almost impossible to come off the dock cold and run the most difficult pass that one is capable of running. I know all 4 men could and have (I think) run 41off before, but not on Robin lake. The course record is 4 at 41off I believe? But even at an "easier" lake it seems unreasonable to me to ask a skier to go out after sitting for a period of time and run the most difficult pass they can complete. I'm not sure it's even very fair to all the skiers either. Certainly JT and Stephen had both sat for a while before skiing. But Nate did not have nearly the amount of "down" time as Will.

Don't misunderstand me. I do not "like" Will more than Nate or vice versa. I just think a more fair way to have a runoff in any tournament might be to allow at least one "warm up pass" to each skier. Their choice of line length. Then go to the last pass run. For example in the case of JT and Stephen. Maybe JT might have chosen to run 35off first, then would be required to run 39off. Of course that is stipulating that he run the 35off pass.

It is interesting that all 4 skiers ran 39off in the first round, but only ONE was able in the runoff. I think this shows how hard it is. And I'm not sure in this type of situation it is a fair measure of competitiveness at the time??

What are others thoughts on this.

Re: The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9408

• BudDavis
I agree, great skiing and it is difficult to have run-offs that do not delay an event.

So often run-offs are avoided by using back-up scores, and if those are tied, then ranking. I do not like either of those.

Obviously, most people would put their money on the freshest skier to run their top pass off of the dock, but that skier does not always win a run-off.

There are a lot of imbalances in skiing. Think about weather changes during an event. Sometimes one skier might have perfect conditions and a few skiers later, gale force winds pick up.

I remember one summer I often practiced skiing 35off/12m off the dock. I went to a State Championship and was the first skier in my big M3 division. I tied the last skier with something in 38off/11.25m. I had to start the run-off at 35off after sitting around for hours. I ran it and was glad I had been practicing it.

I would not be surprised if some of these skiers prepare for that sort of thing also.

About the only way to really avoid a run-off is in the head-to-head format where the second skier has to beat the previous skier.

I guess they could do the same thing in a regular format tournament and tell all the skiers no ties. You have to beat any score previously posted. I do not suggest that, it is just one way to avoid run-offs.

Re: The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9409

• BudDavis
www.usawaterski.org/default.asp?Display=2663

U.S. water ski athlete Nate Smith (McCordsville, Ind.) won the men’s slalom title for the third consecutive year and fourth time in his career at the 58th Masters Water Ski Tournament, presented by GM Marine Engine Technology, May 27-28, at Callaway Gardens' Robin Lake in Pine Mountain, Ga. Smith, the lone U.S. athlete to win a title this year, needed a runoff against Great Britain’s Will Asher to secure the title. After both skiers tied with 3 buoys at 41 feet off in the finals, Smith won the subsequent runoff with a score of 4 buoys at 39-1/2 feet off to Asher’s 2-1/2 buoys at 39-1/2 feet off.
Canada’s Steven Neveu and U.S. athlete Jon Travers (Groveland, Fla.) rounded out the top-four placements (2 buoys at 41 feet off). Neveu won their runoff with a score of 6 buoys at 39-1/2 feet off to Travers’ 5 buoys at 39-1/2 feet off.

In women’s slalom, Canada’s Whitney McClintock won her second career Masters slalom title, scoring a course record of 5 buoys at 39-1/2 feet off. France’s Manon Costard finished second (4 buoys at 39-1/2 feet off), followed by U.S. athlete Regina Jaquess (Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.), the top seed in the finals and defending champion (1 buoy at 39-1/2 feet off), and U.S. athlete Brooke Baldwin (Windermere, Fla.), who was competing in her first Masters (3 buoys at 38 feet off).

Re: The Masters Live stream video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9411

I do like the head to head format quite a bit. Not only for the reasons mentioned but also it just seems more entertaining to me and in some ways even a "non-skier" can probably understand what is going on.

Re: The Masters replay video link. 2 years, 6 months ago #9414

• BudDavis
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Free business joomla templates