Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Andy Mapple 1962-2015

Andy Mapple 1962-2015 4 years, 3 months ago #8371

This was posted by Mike Mapple on facebook. What a shock and loss to the waterskiing community. My heart and prayers go out to the entire Mapple family.

This past weekend has been the hardest time of my life. Saturday August 22nd my best friend, my dad passed away. This was sudden and unexpected, so I ask you to respect my family and myself in the grieving process. While my family and myself are experiencing pain in our hearts like nothing I have ever felt. I take peace in knowing he is in a much better place. He was the greatest man I know, and was and always will be my role model. I will do what ever I can to honor him, and do what ever I can to make him proud. I know he is in heaven smiling down on us. He was a great man who only wanted to please people, he would do anything for his family and he left large shoes to fill but I will do what ever I can to fill them. I ask for people not to fill my wall or this status with rip, he would not want that, instead I ask that if you want leave a story about him that was happy or made you smile. I know he was a big part of the water ski community and I know first hand how much of a family we all are. Losing him took a part of me, a part I don't believe I will ever get back, but knowing he is in heaven know helps to give me peace. I ask for prayer for my family as we move to a new chapter in our lives. My dad was in my eyes the greatest man I have ever gotten to meet. I will always love you and know that when I look at a sunset you are looking at me, and know that I will always be thinking of you. I love you dad, and I will miss you more than anything in the world.
The most important thing is to have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Birch

Re: Andy Mapple 1962-2015 4 years, 3 months ago #8373

I just found out today that a friend of mine , Jim Bede, who designed the Jet I flew in Airshows, that is in my picture here, suddenly died of a heart attack..Then 10 mins. later I found out about Andy...I just can't believe this..I've known Andy since 1998 and he has always been since an inspiration...He designed my boat for me that I currently have..I ski on one of his skis..He taught me so much about ZO, and all I can think about every time I ever skied with him is him saying "You Need to Lean More."..I live 10 mins from his Lake..It seems like yesterday when my Daughter and I skied and had lunch with him..I have never known a better Human Being than Andy in my life..His son Mike is also one of the very best people you could ever meet and had become so involved with his Dad's business, and they had really become close..I really feel so bad for his loss that I can't even explain it.

God Bless him and his Family, and I am so proud to have ever known Andy..There will never be another one like him in my mind, ever...Just to be in His presence was a Gift !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Birch, John Cox

Re: Andy Mapple 1962-2015 4 years, 3 months ago #8374

We had Andy out for a few clinics over the last couple of years. You could feel his excitement for the sport helping everyone from trainers on a boom to into 38 off. He will be missed.
IMG_20140712_191810.jpg
The most important thing is to have fun.

Re: Andy Mapple 1962-2015 4 years, 3 months ago #8375

For those of you who haven't heard anything about Andy's road biking, here's a story that you'll like. We invited Andy to our lake in southern BC in 2010 (or maybe it was 2011) to coach a large group of us over 3 days. As mentioned by so many people, a very nice guy and really unassumingly modest. His mother and sister were both visiting from England that summer so he had invited them on this coaching tour through the northwest. Of course he wanted to spend time with them so we didn't see much of him in the campground at the end of the day in part also because he was training on his road bike and he would head out onto the highway for about two hours right after he got off the lake. As a road biker myself who would get out about 3 times a week, I was curious to know how much biking he did regularly and at what level. He replied that while he used to road bike for training when he was still competing, he really got into it after he retired and his weight ballooned to 219. As a result of doing a lot of road biking for a couple of years, he decided to ride in the Florida State championship. When I asked what his result was he told me that he lost by a wheel to a guy more than 10 years his junior. I just said WHOA! He said, yep, toughest loss of my competitive career! That says it all about how competitive he was. I'm sure that I speak for all of the guys up here when I say that it was an honour to meet him and that the water skiing community has suffered a tremendous blow with his passing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Birch

Re: Andy Mapple 1962-2015 4 years, 3 months ago #8386

Mike Mapple just posted this on Facebook.

I want to start by thanking everyone from the bottom of my heart. These past few days have been very tough. I have learned how much my dad has touched peoples life. I wanted to let everyone know that my dads Celebration of his life will be held Saturday the 12th at 2pm at First Baptist Church of Orlando. We know that this is Surf Expo weekend but this is a good chance for everyone to be in town. Following this service will be a gathering to celebrate the life of my dad at the lake, which was his vision and his baby. The lake is just up the road ( 2551 West Sandlake Road Orlando, Fl 32809 ) One thing i would like to stress is that my dad was such a casual guy and I plan on attending as he knew me. Meaning I will be in Gym shorts and a T-shirt, we have no expectations of what people should wear, If you feel you need to dress up that is ok as well. For those of you who know me well, I more than likely will not have shoes on either. I encourage anyone who wants to attend to come to both, or if you can only make one that is ok as well. I hope to see everyone there, and have some good stories about Dad's life.
if anyone would like to share this to get the word out i would be grateful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravisTorley

Re: Andy Mapple 1962-2015 4 years, 3 months ago #8398

• LEE
  • So, your sayin' there's a chance!
Like many, I am still in shock and continue to feel the same strange kind of emptiness I felt when Elvis left us. Like Elvis was to Music, Andy was to Skiing. Even beyond the water, Andy was a Legend and an inspiration.

I am so very thankful to have had the privilege to be coached by Andy and the awesome late afternoon conversation we shared about Life and Living a Life of purpose.

Even in Life, Andy left nothing on the dock… May his heart, his vision and his example continue to Live and thrive within the Ski industry and beyond.

God Bless the Mapple Family
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Gladding
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Free business joomla templates