Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Installing a slalom course.

Installing a slalom course. 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9842

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Installing a slalom course.

It is hard to know the best way to put a slalom course in a lake, mainly because lakes are different. Some methods work better in different lakes.

It would seem to me that a cross cable course might be the easiest, but enough depth is desirable so handles do not get caught and disrupt the cable. This type is often easy to install and it can be made self adjusting very easily.

If the water level does not change much, the need for self adjusting should not be necessary. However, if there is a frequent fluctuation in water level, a self adjusting course is great.

Individually anchored buoys are great if you have a dry bottom on which to work. If you are installing anchors in deep water with no visibility, you could spend quite a bit of time finding the exact location. There are different types of individual anchors. Some people drive a rod into the ground and some use concrete blocks or molded concrete. The heavier they are, the better they seem to stay, but might be hard to move where they need to be.

I have recently taken on the task of redoing my entire course. I decided to use a three point anchor system for each buoy and self adjusting buoys. I used three standard blocks with a loop of rope on each. The blocks sit on the lake bottom in a triangulated position around the point where the buoy needs to be located. I have a half inch PVC pipe through my sub-buoy so the line or bungee connecting the weight to the buoy can run through. The trick to adjusting a three point system is placing two blocks in line with the direction of the boat path, and the single block perpendicular to the first two blocks. The first adjustment gets the sub-buoy correctly placed lengthwise. The second adjustment gets the sub-buoy correctly placed width-wise. As seen in the photo, the adjustments are made by sliding one rope through the other.

What are some ways you have seen working well?

Do you have any suggestions?

SubBuoy2.JPG

SubBuoy3.JPG

Re: Installing a slalom course. 2 weeks, 2 days ago #9845

• BudDavis
  • Today is a gift, so ski. No promise of more.
Someone sent me these pictures today, and I must say how impressed I am with what they have done. Of course the weight slides up and down inside the pipe.

IMG_6047.JPEG

IMG_6048.JPEG
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds
Free business joomla templates